First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

Old November 4th, 2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

Default First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

RICK DAVIS wrote:
Warren, Zenith is 14.5 years old. I consider that old.

You said "very old" s/s Norway was very old. QE2 is very old.

My point was that Zenith isn't that much older than Voyager of the
Seas. So if you consider her "very old" then Voyager by your definition
is merely "old."

Warren

Old November 4th, 2006, 05:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

Tom K wrote:
Your Legend sailing may be an exception... but to me, RCI
food isn't close to Celebrity food

To your palate perhaps. However, the menu on both ships was nearly
identical and once again while I enjoyed my meals on Legend of the
Seas, I had to send back a couple on Mercury. Sorry, but I have to say
that Celebrity's cousine is no great shakes - and slightly less than
what I experienced on Legend of the Seas. They even use the same china
and flatware.

And be careful about suggesting that Mercury isn't as up to snuff
within the Celebrity fleet. Otherwise I'll have to remind you about how
you react when others say the same regarding Carnival and your opinion
of Density. ;-p

Warren

Old November 4th, 2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

Charles wrote:
Honestly I was happier with the food on Crown
Princess than the food on Zenith or Mariner of the Seas.....

I completely agree, Charles. When I had lunch aboard Crown Princess I
said to my partner "this is what the food SHOULD have been on
Celebrity!"

Warren

Old November 4th, 2006, 05:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

Dick G wrote:
it has been
some time since I have sailed either RCI or Celebrity, there was, as of my
last sailing, no comparison in the quality of the food.

And, IMHO, your perception is outdated. There was nothing special about
the food or service on Mercury. Your description of the attention to
detail by the dining room staff described what I experienced on RCI.

Go figure.

Warren

Old November 4th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Ermalee
wrote:

I've always wanted to do one of Sue's annual 'junkets', but I am
thankful that I didn't book this one. We are dealing with a case of
congestive heart failure at our house. May involve hospital time if
there's no improvement this weekend with home care. Dr. is stopping by
daily.

I am sorry to hear that.

--
Charles
Old November 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

Warren wrote:
RICK DAVIS wrote:
Warren, Zenith is 14.5 years old. I consider that old.

You said "very old" s/s Norway was very old. QE2 is very old.

s/s Norway is not very old....its extinct. QE2 is very
old...agreeed.

My point was that Zenith isn't that much older than Voyager of the
Seas. So if you consider her "very old" then Voyager by your definition
is merely "old."

I still consider Voyager new "ish". 5 years in ships life is
about the same as dog years. I do admitt that I thought Zenith was
older than 14.5 years. I thought about 18+ years. Celibrity also
attracts an older crowd than Voyager or Radiance will. Note: every
week is different on a ships voyage. There is no way to tell the
passenger make up on any given voyage so my age comment may not be
accurate either. But Royal C. WILL offer more to do especially for a
younger couple.

Warren

Old November 4th, 2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Crabman

wrote:
We decided to buy our first cruise:
place - Caribbean, time - December, we found too many nice cruises and
now we are confused what is the best for us? We need some help....

We have three types:
1) 7-night Caribbean-Western - from Miami with Royal Caribbean -
Voyager of the Seas
- Labadee, Haiti
- Ocho Rios, Jamaica
- Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Cozumel

We have a lot of questions, we are under 30, we would like to see a
lot, we like snorkeling, exotic places, good fun etc. It will be our
honeymoon, but we want to spend it in active way. We don't want to
spend all day on the beach.
Do You think 1st cruise for 10 nights isn't too long for first timers??
Is it better to take 7 nights?

Eve

Eve, My family has only been on 4 Cruises so far. I can tell you this,
we are hooked for life!
My recommendations would be:

..7 days on your first cruise
..Go to Grand Cayman and book a snorkel trip with Captain Marvins to swim
with the stingrays(THIS CAN NOT BE MISSED, and has been one of the
greatest experiences of our lives. No Joke.)
..Go with an open mind as to what to expect and you will be amazed at how
enjoyable cruising is.(like being royalty for a week)

Just my perspective!

Clay
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Charles wrote:
In article , Sue and Kevin Mullen
wrote:

The aft one was fixed and then broken again. I think it was only the
Lotus Pool hot tub and the aft one that had problems. As I am sure you
remember us complaining, it was a long walk to find the hot tub not
working.lol

After you complained they fixed the one at the Lotus Pool. There are
two at the Lotus Pool. The one they fixed had hotter water. I never
used the one at the aft. I think there were little kids in that one
when I was around there and I avoid hot tubs frequented by toddlers....

The funny thing is that both the Lotus Pool and aft hot tubs were
fixed after we spoke to the pursers desk and the man in charge of that
stuff. The Lotus hot tub continued working, but the aft one closed
again, don't know what the story was with it. We never saw kids in the
aft hot tub, but doesn't mean there weren't any. Since you are up
early and got a lounger every day, you were better off in the lotus
pool area.

sue
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Ermalee" wrote in message
. ..

I've always wanted to do one of Sue's annual 'junkets', but I am thankful
that I didn't book this one. We are dealing with a case of
congestive heart failure at our house. May involve hospital time if
there's no improvement this weekend with home care. Dr. is stopping by
daily.

Ermalee

Sorry to hear that Ermalee. Hope everything works out.

--Tom

Old November 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

The Caribean is mostly palm trees and cloureds1
"ZombyWoof" wrote in message
On 3 Nov 2006 08:55:14 -0800, "Warren"
wrote something wonderfully witty:

ZombyWoof wrote:
I've been to Haiti and there is a real good reason people risk their
lives at sea trying to get here.

Labadee is RCI's private enclave in a remote corner of Haiti. It's
mainly tropical beaches surrounded by mountains. Most people have no
idea they are even in Haiti when they stop at Labadee.

Since I've been to the "real" Haiti in the Military I've never had any
desire to got to anywhere with Haiti in the name. I'll take your word
that they may have created a "Tourists" only enclave somewhere and
that all cleaned up it might be quite lovely, but the money generated
is only being generated to further corrupt & subjugate the local
people so I'll pass. The whole place is corrupt as corrupt can be.

--

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

ZombyWoof