America travel pointers

Old August 15th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
ROD

Default America travel pointers

My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.
Cheers, ROD
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:19 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Iceman

ROD wrote:
My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some sort.

All of that is perfectly fine except for the hitchhiking, which she
should not even consider, period. It just isn't done in the US, so 99%
of normal people would be afraid to pick up a hitchhiker, and you take
your chances with the people who would.

There's no safety problem with backpacking, hostels or cheap food.
With a few people they would probably find it both cost effective and
convenient to rent a car rather than rely on public transport (which is
very limited in California).

Los Angeles has some dangerous parts, but they are far from anything of
interest, and most travellers would never encounter them. As long as
you don't drive around aimlessly there's really no problem.

Old August 15th, 2006, 06:22 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Gregory Morrow[_3_]

ROD wrote:

My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy).

DO NOT HITCHIKE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. This is a sure way to place
oneself in danger, ESPECIALLY FOR FEMALES. Additionally, most all
municipalities ban hitchhiking, she'll get in trouble with the law if she
attempts this.

If she wants to ensure that she returns to Oz in a coffin (or even ensure
that she permanently disappears) then hitchhiking is the SURE way to go...

--
Best
Greg

Old August 15th, 2006, 06:52 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

ROD wrote:
My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.
Cheers, ROD

Don't hitchhike. It's very dodgy, esp. in California.

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Maxwell Edison

In article .com,
Iceman at says...
ROD wrote:
My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some sort.

All of that is perfectly fine except for the hitchhiking, which she
should not even consider, period. It just isn't done in the US, so 99%
of normal people would be afraid to pick up a hitchhiker, and you take
your chances with the people who would.

People hitchhike all the time in northern California. If you are in a
group of three or four it is relatively safe. Two young women is less
safe and more than four will not get rides due to lack of room. Advise
your sister to check the condition of the driver. If you smell alcohol,
say "no thanks."

When I was younger I hitchhiked all over California. It is a great way
to meet people. You don't need to be afraid, just careful. Bring good
maps. Bring a book on California hostels. Aim for college towns. The
best campgrounds are state and national parks. State parks have hot
showers.

I rarely pick up hitchhikers any more, but driving from Crescent City
to Eureka a few years pack, two guys hitchhiking were holding a sign
that simply said "Aussies". I picked them up and they spent the night
at my house. We had a great time. The "Aussies" sign was just the
ticket to let me know they were international travelers.

The trouble with hitchhiking is the interminable waits sometimes as
Americans are afraid of strangers. I waited 16 hours in the Mohave
desert in August once, finally getting a ride just as we were about to
give up and go sleep in the cactus with the ants and snakes. Be sure to
carry extra water and snack foods.

There's no safety problem with backpacking, hostels or cheap food.
With a few people they would probably find it both cost effective and
convenient to rent a car rather than rely on public transport (which is
very limited in California).

Renting a car is an excellent idea.

Los Angeles has some dangerous parts, but they are far from anything of
interest, and most travellers would never encounter them. As long as
you don't drive around aimlessly there's really no problem.

I recommend the Redwood country, Mendocino and Humboldt Counties. The
coastline and interior are fine traveling country. Be sure to bring
warm clothes as the coast is chilly, even in the summer.

Crowds are a problem in major resort areas, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, etc.
After the U.S. Labor Day, September 4th, the crowds thin out so have
her consider Yosemite. Not to be missed. Also consider Sequoia and
Kings Canyon national parks. Excellent camping there, even better than
Yosemite.

Lastly, try to take the back roads. The interstate freeways are boring
and hard to choose good places to stop off.

Tell your sister to have fun and welcome to California!
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Outlawpoet[_1_]

PeterL wrote:
ROD wrote:
My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.
Cheers, ROD

Don't hitchhike. It's very dodgy, esp. in California.

Writing from Southern California here - do not hitchhike. It's
seriously dangerous here - especially in certain areas. I don't mean
to scare her - and this is from someone who loves to live here - but it
seems like every week or so another woman is killed or missing. There
probably aren't as many as it seems, but as a native Los Angelena, I'm
careful who I speak to when I'm out and about.

L.A. is especially tricky 'cause we've become a dumping ground for the
crazies. Unfortunately, I mean that literally. Police and hospitals
from other counties have been caught dumping their insane in our
Downtown area. And it seems like most of them end up staying.

Honestly, the cheapest and best way to get around down here is to rent
a car or van for a week. The car rental places have great weekly deals
and if she splits the cost with friends, it should be very reasonable.
Grab a Thomas guide from the airport or bookstore and you can navigate
pretty well.

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

"ROD" wrote in message
news9nEg.3924$Ji1.1123@trnddc05...

My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I
want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.
Cheers, ROD

First

NO HITCHIKING - not only is it bloody dangerous its
also illegal in a lot of places. If she wants to travel on the cheap she
can buy a Greyhound Bus pass

second , you and she need to do a lot of research. Most of
the US is friendly and safe but lots of city centres have
some seriously bad neighborhoods. She needs to know
where they are.

Keith

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
PTravel[_1_]

"ROD" wrote in message
news9nEg.3924$Ji1.1123@trnddc05...

My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I
want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.
Cheers, ROD

She should not, under any circumstances, hitchhike. Not only is it illegal,
but it is extremely dangerous. This is not the U.S. of the 60s and 70s .

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:43 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
PTravel[_1_]

"Maxwell Edison" wrote in message
. ..
In article .com,
Iceman at says...
ROD wrote:
[...]

People do not hitchhike all the time in northern California. I don't know
where you live, but here in the Bay Area, it is a dangerous and stupid thing
to do.

When I was younger I hitchhiked all over California. It is a great way
to meet people. You don't need to be afraid, just careful. Bring good
maps. Bring a book on California hostels. Aim for college towns. The
best campgrounds are state and national parks. State parks have hot
showers.

When I was younger, I hitchhiked all over the country. That was then. This
is now. Hitchhiking is an extremely dangerous thing to do, and illegal
virtually everywhere in the U.S.

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Ellen

In article o9nEg.3924$Ji1.1123@trnddc05,
says...

My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.
Cheers, ROD

OMG, no hitchhiking EVER. Can you hitchhike in Australia? Being a female
it isn't even an option in California. She and her friends should have
no problem with cheap eats and cheap places to stay. Hostels are
everywhere. Also, you might want her to check-in via email or phone
every now and again. That way it will make you and your family be a bit
more at ease. I know if one of my siblings went abroad and I didn't hear
from them every few days I would panic, especially given today's
headlines. There are plenty of internet cafes in the big cities and she
can give you a call collect! Actually bad idea calling collect. Why
don't you give your sister a calling card right before she leaves so she
doesn't have to worry about money to call and it will be convenient for
her. I suggest using a company OneSuite,
www.onesuite.com. She just
needs a PIN number and can call you directly from any phone in
California. Also, make her promise to send a postcard from every big
city. See if you can buy her U.S. stamps before taking off. I wish your
little sis good luck and she will have a great time.

Ellen