NCL Hawaii

Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Old Sarge[_3_]

Default NCL Hawaii

Didn't NCL remove one of their two ships in Hawaii?
Since I believe they are American flagged, they are bound by US Labor
laws and must pay minimum wages and abide by the law in total. I
thought I saw where they removed one ship due to it being too expensive
to operate there. A friend of mine got a Purser job on one of those ships.

--
**U.S. Army Retired - USPS Retired**
**Degreed in CS, BS, HBS**
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 9/23/2011 6:35 PM, Old Sarge wrote:
Didn't NCL remove one of their two ships in Hawaii?
Since I believe they are American flagged, they are bound by US Labor
laws and must pay minimum wages and abide by the law in total. I thought
I saw where they removed one ship due to it being too expensive to
operate there. A friend of mine got a Purser job on one of those ships.

They had 3 ships. They removed 2 a few years ago. Too much capacity was
leading to very low prices (which I took advantage of).

People complained about the service. I didn't find it all that bad, at
least not in the dining and housekeeping areas. Food was terrible.

Bill

Old September 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 9/23/2011 6:58 PM, Bill wrote:
On 9/23/2011 6:35 PM, Old Sarge wrote:
Didn't NCL remove one of their two ships in Hawaii?
Since I believe they are American flagged, they are bound by US Labor
laws and must pay minimum wages and abide by the law in total. I thought
I saw where they removed one ship due to it being too expensive to
operate there. A friend of mine got a Purser job on one of those ships.

They had 3 ships. They removed 2 a few years ago. Too much capacity was
leading to very low prices (which I took advantage of).

People complained about the service. I didn't find it all that bad, at
least not in the dining and housekeeping areas. Food was terrible.

Bill

Bill,

I know at least a dozen people who have sailed on that NCL ship and that
same itinerary at different times. You are the first one who *didn't*
find it terrible.

You must be easy to please. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 15:26:20 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 9/23/2011 6:58 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

The travel web sites are full of reviews by people who not only didn't
find it terrible, but really liked it.
Thumper
Old September 26th, 2011, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

wrote:

On 9/23/2011 6:58 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

There's no accounting for taste.

Old September 26th, 2011, 02:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 9/25/2011 4:26 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 9/23/2011 6:58 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Don't get me wrong. Overall it was terrible and we will never sail NCL
again because of it (and many people I spoke to onboard felt the same
way). You had to be on line at 7am if you wanted to get a reservation at
a decent time at the (at the time) free Italian restaurant and they
never picked up the alleged reservation phone line. The dining room menu
posted outside the entrance did not match what they served and the
buffet often did not have signs saying what each dish was. And the lost
my OBC and multiple calls between my TA and corporate never got it
cleared up (it may have been given to someone else by mistake.

But out cabin steward was pleasant enough, it was a local girl who I
think was going to leave for college. And the waiters we had were
generally nice. I do recall that the maitre'd in the main dining room
was incompetent.

Bottom line was that for what we paid, it was a great deal. My biggest
mistake was not eating off the ship the night(s?) we stayed in port
overnight, certainly in Maui (I forget if there was a second night in port).

Bill
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_3_]

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:49:14 -0400, Bill wrote:

Bottom line was that for what we paid, it was a great deal.

Everyone who hates NCL does so because a) the food isn't what they hoped
or b) the service sux.

Cruise for the ship, cruise for the locations, if you want to eat great,
stay home.
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 9/28/2011 3:58 PM, Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:49:14 -0400, Bill wrote:

Bottom line was that for what we paid, it was a great deal.

Everyone who hates NCL does so because a) the food isn't what they hoped
or b) the service sux.

Cruise for the ship, cruise for the locations, if you want to eat great,
stay home.

True. I am a better cook than NCL :-).

What I hated most about our NCL cruise was the filthy condition of the
ship and the horrible attitude of the crew. The bad food, the awful
dining (if the term "dining" even applies to their terrible Freestyle
MDR experience) atmosphere and the constant barrage of sales pitches.

I don't care if they have the best itinerary in the entire world, I'll
never set foot aboard their ships again. I cruise for the experience as
much as for the itinerary. I can have a better experience flying in and
staying in a hotel than I had on that NCL cruise.

YMMV

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

wrote:

On 9/23/2011 6:58 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Maybe I am easy to please but I was satisfied with our cruise on NCL
Hawaii, and I quite liked my other NCL cruises. On the Pride of
America, I found the service generally good except that they were
woefully understaffed in housekeeping. The itin. which was the
reason I picked it, was good and the excursions were good. I don't
ever eat in the extra price restaurants, so it doesn't matter to me
what time you have to call in the morning. Most of the other things
people complain about are things that don't matter to me.