Hawaii time of year

Old September 13th, 2003, 03:23 AM

Default Hawaii time of year

What is the best time of year to go to Hawaii? We are not able to snorkle
and scuba because of health conditions, but we would really like to stay
around the beach and see the interior. We would like to go when the
temperature is fairly mild.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Thanks,
Richard

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Dave

In the early sixties I spent two years on Oahu and found the only time
that could be considered bad was in January. It rained a lot at
Schofield Barracks in January. I'm not sure if it rained on the beach
or at lower levels during that time, but we got soaked. The rest of the
year Hawaii had the most pleasant climate I have seen. I now reside in
New England and the common quote here is, "I really need the change of
seasons." Well, I saw Santa Claus come in on a surf board, two years in
a row. I truly believe the lack of the seasons has something to say
too. My wife and I were going to cruise to Hawaii earlier this year,
but the cruise was cancelled. When I considered a time to go, I simply
looked for a time when the youngsters were still in school. I love the
kids, but I have been there and done that and I can be selfish for
eleven days if I want to.

I believe Hawaii, any of the islands, are the kinds of places where you
can get off the boat, rent a car and just travel around for as long as
you have.

Enjoy

Dave

Old September 13th, 2003, 01:33 PM
ArleneL

The first time we went to Hawaii ( April, 1989) it was all land; 5 islands in
14 days. The weather was very pleasant; not too hot, not too cool. In May
of this year we cruised from Ensenada to Honolulu and found the weather to
be a little bit warmer. As Floridians we're used to hot weather, but didn't
find this in Hawaii at that time of year.

Arlene

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Mason Barge

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:23:20 GMT, wrote:

What is the best time of year to go to Hawaii? We are not able to snorkle
and scuba because of health conditions, but we would really like to stay
around the beach and see the interior. We would like to go when the
temperature is fairly mild.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Thanks,
Richard

Hawaii (and I think all tropical islands and much tropical mainland,
at least near the ocean) is tropical and the temperature does not vary
from month to month. The daily high and low in August is pretty much
the same as December -- maybe 5 degrees warmer, something like that.

What does vary is rainfall. The rainy season in Hawaii is winter
(November-February or March). The best time to go is just after the
rainy season ends, so you get clear sunny days but the scenery is lush
and green from all the rain.

So I would say April-June would be best.

Hawaii also has a lot of microclimates, including the rainiest place
on earth.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old September 14th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Brenda

We own property on Maui & are in Maui every February for a few weeks.
With the humpback whales there with us for great entertainment either
on a $19 cruise to watch them or from our balcony on 9-12 (it changes
yearly) it is one of the most eductional & enjoyable times to be in
Hawaii (DEC-APRIL). Temps are high 70's to low 80's, up on Haleakala
it is 32-28 a few times we've had snow. On the Big Island of Hawaii
they ski year round on Mauna Kea, then go surfing.

So there is plenty to do in Hawaii, Oahu I find too commercial to
enjoy.

Old September 14th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Brenda

The locals ride F150 pick ups doing 70 on the W Maui Mtn RT 30 (single
lane road) and do not fear going over the 1000 foot drop since the
tourist shifts into reverse very fast.

Horseback riding is basically up in the mountains & the locals do ride
in Lahaina, Wailea & especially Hana plenty, since there are hundred
of ranches including Kris Kristofferson & the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut
man "Gomer Pyle" aka
Jim Nabors as well as George Harrison (his is the Japanese Pagoda in
black iron). Harleys are also very big in Hana as well as the cute
"rent a dog" with a picnic basket. The dog knows Hana & tells you
with his excitement where to stop to play. The greatest winery is at
the end with rasberry wine, pineapple wine, passionfruit wine & a
great blush champagne at $40/bottle.

Mason Barge wrote in message . ..
On 14 Sep 2003 04:39:14 -0700, (Brenda)
wrote:

We own property on Maui & are in Maui every February for a few weeks.
With the humpback whales there with us for great entertainment either
on a $19 cruise to watch them or from our balcony on 9-12 (it changes
yearly) it is one of the most eductional & enjoyable times to be in
Hawaii (DEC-APRIL). Temps are high 70's to low 80's, up on Haleakala
it is 32-28 a few times we've had snow. On the Big Island of Hawaii
they ski year round on Mauna Kea, then go surfing.

So there is plenty to do in Hawaii, Oahu I find too commercial to
enjoy.

Okay, color me jealous

I was first in Maui in 1970. People were riding horses in downtown
Hana -- is it still like that?