Madness at RDU - Trip Report

Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:01 PM
The Bill Mattocks

Default Madness at RDU - Trip Report

(me) wrote in message . com...
Okay boys and girls. The name of the game is "Where is this at?".
Forget the grammer, where is this place within "driving distance" of
two "hub" cities, one of which has 2 airports? Yes it's a bit
confusing because we don't really know what is a "hub city" to
Mr. Mattocks, nor what is "driving distance". However, one can
make a short list of "two airport" towns. My guess would be
somewhere 'round Chicago (he'd be within "driving distance" of
Milwakee if he lived somewhere around the Illinois/Wisconsin border).

Man, you're good! Yes, we're looking in the area of Kenosha,
Wisconsin for a house. Driving distance to MKE and ORD, with MDW
thrown in as an 'if I gotta' possiblity.

He could be talking about San Diego/LA but it would seem
a bit odd to both; refer to LA as only a 2 airport town and,
consider San Diego as a "hub city".

Plus, California. Ick!

Portland/Seattle sorta
falls apart on the whole "two airport city" criteria. Now, he
could be talking about somewhere in the Dulles/DCA/BWI triangle.

Expensive!

However, it would seem a rugged traveler like he would then
probably represent Philly as an additional possibility. We know
he's considered Cincinatti before, but I struggle to identify the
2 airport town nearby.

Well, it's a thought, not that bad, but overall, we prefer the
midwest.

My money's on Chicago. Middle of the country, central time zone.

Yep. Or at least, just north of there. We're in full-on
house-hunting mode now.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:09 PM
The Bill Mattocks

TMOliver wrote in message ...
Although Bill loathes WN, you'd have to admit DFW and DAL make the
Metroplex a two airport hub, although explaining the Wright Amendment is a
bit complex. Then there's Houston, the climate a combination of
Equatorial rain Forest with a cold Winter, but IAH, "hub" for CO and HOU.

Driving range of two cities with "hubs"....at 250 miles distance, being
"between" IAH and DFW could still be a fur piece, and "midway" remains
pretty rural for Bill.

I wouldn't mind being in the middle of nowhere, but the wife...
Anyway, she likes seasons, with winter and all. I lived in Wisconsin
for about six years, and grew up in Illinois. I know winter, we'll
see how she likes 4 feet of snow.

HP has closed its Columbus hub, so it can't be in the cornfields between
there and Cincy.

Although we took a nice drive down the middle of Ohio a few years
back, from Columbus to Cincy, and it is a beautiful drive if you stay
off the Interstate. At one point, we rounded a blind corner on a
rural road and were startled to see a HUGE turkey go crashing off the
road and into the brush. Fantastic!

Chicago/Milwaukee..... Sure, there's ORD and MDW, but The big M's only a
hub for wurstwagons, not even beer trucks any more.

I'm not a fan of MDW, and it's not a 'hub', but it is a choice if
worst comes to wurst.

Bill in Miami or LA/ Wow!

Yeah, that'll happen. Hahahaha! How would Cali feel about my SKS and
AK's? I guess in Miami it would be ok...practically a fashion
statement. But nah, I look horrible in pastels.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:09 PM
The Bill Mattocks

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message . ..
Despite the existence of two two airport hub cities Bill could never
stand living in Texas. FFM

You got that right.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:11 PM
mrtravel

The Bill Mattocks wrote:

Man, you're good! Yes, we're looking in the area of Kenosha,
Wisconsin for a house. Driving distance to MKE and ORD, with MDW
thrown in as an 'if I gotta' possiblity.

What airline has a hub at MKE?
I haven't been to Kenosha since my days at Great Lakes NTC.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 02:45 AM
Mark W. Wheatley

me wrote:
Okay boys and girls. The name of the game is "Where is this at?".
Forget the grammer, where is this place within "driving distance" of
two "hub" cities, one of which has 2 airports?

My guess is Austin, TX. It's about three hours from both Houston (HOU
and IAH) and Dallas (DFW). DFW gets him an American and a Delta hub. IAH
gets him a Continental hub.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:02 AM
Anne Bodnarchuk

The Bill Mattocks wrote:
I wouldn't mind being in the middle of nowhere, but the wife...
Anyway, she likes seasons, with winter and all. I lived in Wisconsin
for about six years, and grew up in Illinois. I know winter, we'll
see how she likes 4 feet of snow.

The logical conclusion is that you will live in Red Deer Alberta. Halfway
between Edmonton which as 2 airports and acts as a hub between southern and
arctic services, and Calgary which is the hub for Westjet. :-)

The big question is whether Mr Mattocks will choose a city based on his
airline allegiance(s), or whether, since 9-11, the airlines have cutback so
much in FF goodies that Mr Mattocks won't have much problem switching
allegiances if the new location provides equivalent schedules.

x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:18 AM
The Bill Mattocks

mrtravel wrote in message . com...
What airline has a hub at MKE?
I haven't been to Kenosha since my days at Great Lakes NTC.

YX, although I understand they are no longer what they were.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:56 AM
devil

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:02:57 -0400, Anne Bodnarchuk wrote:

The Bill Mattocks wrote:
I wouldn't mind being in the middle of nowhere, but the wife...
Anyway, she likes seasons, with winter and all. I lived in Wisconsin
for about six years, and grew up in Illinois. I know winter, we'll
see how she likes 4 feet of snow.

The logical conclusion is that you will live in Red Deer Alberta. Halfway
between Edmonton which as 2 airports and acts as a hub between southern and
arctic services, and Calgary which is the hub for Westjet. :-)

I believe it's down to one, YEG. Which indeed may well be closer to Red
Deer. Bad tongues claim it's really half way from calgary to Edmonton.
:-)

But anyway, you no longer can fly anywhere from YEG without connecting at
YYC, so who cares.

YYC itself is actually quite convenient as a place to fly from. Nonstop
flights to London and FRA, in Canada, YVR, YYZ, YUL, YOW, I believe
Halifax and Victoria, plus a bunch of smaller places in the West. To the
US, Seattle, Spokane, SFO, LAX, DEN, Salt Lake, ORD, Minneapolis, Dallas,
Houston. And I probably miss a couple.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:37 AM
JohnT

"Mark W. Wheatley" wrote in message
me wrote:
Okay boys and girls. The name of the game is "Where is this at?".
Forget the grammer, where is this place within "driving distance" of
two "hub" cities, one of which has 2 airports?

My guess is Austin, TX. It's about three hours from both Houston (HOU
and IAH) and Dallas (DFW). DFW gets him an American and a Delta hub.

IAH
gets him a Continental hub.

London
New York or Philadelphia or Washington DC
Central Florida (Orlando has two Airports)
Central Scotland (Ryanair refer to Prestwick as "Glasgow", and there is
also a real airport in the City)
Ile de France, within Paris conurbation

............................ and there must be hundreds more.

JohnT