Air Canada

Old March 13th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Marcelo Bruno

Default Air Canada

I am traveling from Sao Paulo (Brazil) to Montreal in May to attend a
conference. I was planning to fly Air Canada non-stop from Sao Paulo
to Toronto and then get a connection to Montreal. However, since Air
Canada is technically bankrupt, I wonder if there's any guarantee it
will still be in business two months from now. I'd appreciate any
further information you could provide me on this subject. Thanks for
your assistance,

Marcelo Bruno
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:31 PM
nobody

Marcelo Bruno wrote:
Canada is technically bankrupt, I wonder if there's any guarantee it
will still be in business two months from now.

You can get the latest info at http://www.yyznews.com

What is holding up AC right now is pension plan reorganisation which the new
owners want to do, but unions don't want. But the rest seems to be all in
place. They are expected to take delivery of their 2 340-500s before may (they
are already painted and been assigned tail numbers). Pilots agreed to the same
pay scale as the 340-300.

Once they unlock the pension plan issue, then the rest will fall in place and
the judge can allow AC to emerge from bankrupcy protection and the whole
reorganisation plan should be implemented.

Also, while A company may still be in business, one has to worry about
schedule changes. However, during the summer, cutting service on an
international route is not very likely.
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Treb

"Mike from Ottawa" wrote in message

------------SNIP------------

Recently there was deal announced involving Victor Li and a US group,
who were injecting a large amount of cash into the airline.

---
Mike from Ottawa

Too bad Victor didn't fired Milton and all the AC cronies. Then they could
put some people in place that don't consider the customers as an irritation
to their daily well-being.

Treb

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Gord

It will not fold in the short term. Its not that kind of bankruptcy. Not
like Canada3000 which caught everyone by surprise.

The next problem period will be this December. A lot of airlines like AC
have filed for bankruptcy protection.

om...

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:57 AM
MalMartin

As yet there is NO deal by Victor Li, because of problems with the
damn unions!!
Yes, the main execs should be fired, for criminal incompetence..

Consequently, anyone stupid enough to fly Air Caca does so at their
own risk!!
Any other airline, shjort of SAeroflop has to give better service, and
probably even provides meals in-flight, unlike Air Caca!!

"Treb" wrote in message news:B1L4c.795582$ts4.58059@pd7tw3no...
"Mike from Ottawa" wrote in message
------------SNIP------------
Recently there was deal announced involving Victor Li and a US group,
who were injecting a large amount of cash into the airline.

---
Mike from Ottawa

Too bad Victor didn't fire Milton and all the AC cronies. Then they could

Old March 14th, 2004, 11:59 AM
harvey

It is highly unlikely that the current economic situation of AC will affect
your flights. I would not hesitate to buy an AC ticket.
While "bankrupt", AC has started, in the last three months, direct nonstop
service Toronto to New Delhi [which I am hoping to utilize this year] and
also Toronto to Santiago, Chile and continuing to BA, Argentina.
International flights are the profit centers that AC wants to emphasize.
If you don't already know, there are AC flights almost every hour between
Toronto and Montreal.

BTW, the USA wants to charge Brazilian visitors a $100 US per visa plus
fingerprint/photograph. Would they demand such a high fee if you were just
transiting at JFK or Miami airport? I know that Canada doesn't do the
fingerprint/photo, but does it charge Brazilians as high a visa fee as the
USA does?
Second BTW. I am a Torontonian, love the city and recommend spending a few
days here. There is lots to see and do for all interests. There is also a
Brazilian community, and a huge Portuguese community.
On the other hand, Montreal is high on my list of places I like to visit.
It is enjoyable to be immersed in French.
Oh, for a third BTW, I spent a month in Rio, at Carnival time, about 25
years ago. I am not a beach loving person, but in Rio I went to one of the
beachs almost every day; each one had its' own personality, and they all
had a magnetic draw. It is still one of my fond memories.
Harvey

Old March 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Dave Smith

MalMartin wrote:

As yet there is NO deal by Victor Li, because of problems with the
damn unions!!
Yes, the main execs should be fired, for criminal incompetence..

Balderdash. They paid into a decent pension plan and they are now being expected to abandon
that for one based on performance. That's not a great deal in a world where CEOs are
manipulating stock values to line their own pockets.

Old March 14th, 2004, 09:54 PM
nobody

Dave Smith wrote:
Balderdash. They paid into a decent pension plan and they are now being expected to abandon
that for one based on performance. That's not a great deal in a world where CEOs are
manipulating stock values to line their own pockets.

Especially when the guy who pity AC into bankrupcy and caused so much union
problems by buying CP instead of letting it die not only gets to stay but is
given a 20 million dollar bonus to stay.

They should have asked Milton to pay $20 out of his own picket if he wanted to
stay, and put that $20 million into the pension fund he emptied.

Carty had to go from AA when he asked employees for major concessions and the
employees found out he had negotiated a big plump multi million dollar
"retention" bonus.

Frankly, I really do not understand why ther Li group wants so much to keep Milton.