Does built in gratuities mean we don't tip?

Old November 20th, 2003, 07:35 PM
VBM

Default Does built in gratuities mean we don't tip?

I see from our documents that Carnival is going to automatically charge a
daily gratuity per person for the waiters and stewards "for our convenience"
(coming out to about $10 a passenger a day). Does this mean that we are not
to tip the folks? It would seem odd NOT to tip someone helping you, but if
that is truly being charged directly, then we are paying for this service
twice. Seems very odd.

Old November 20th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Mike Cordelli

If you still want to pay directly you can go to the purser's desk and ask
they be removed, or adjust them up or down as you see fit. But no, if you
leave them on the account then you are not expected to tip them too.

ink.net...

Old November 20th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Diane Giambalvo

That tip that is charged to the sign and sail card is given to the staff. They
are just charging it ahead, If you want to give extra you can raise the amount
they take out or give it in an envelope.
Diane Giambalvo
Travel Consultant
GalaxSea Cruises And Tours
East Brunswick, NJ
1-800-357-9393
http://www.galaxseaeb.com
Old November 20th, 2003, 09:01 PM
jcoulter

"VBM" wrote in
ink.net:

I see from our documents that Carnival is going to automatically
charge a daily gratuity per person for the waiters and stewards "for
our convenience" (coming out to about $10 a passenger a day). Does
this mean that we are not to tip the folks? It would seem odd NOT to
tip someone helping you, but if that is truly being charged directly,
then we are paying for this service twice. Seems very odd.

I leave it on, but if I get really good service then a $20 on the last
night (or along the way) means more. I especially tip "extra" when my
waiter "forgets" to charge the corkage fee for the wine I bring along with
me. (more than a 20 for that!)
Old November 20th, 2003, 09:41 PM
LVTravel

I have a problem letting the cruise line know what I am tipping the
crewmembers. While I am sure that the crew member gets the full amount (is
not charged an administrative fee for the service) I feel that most crew
members would prefer to receive cash. Since I am going on a cruise in a
month, I am going to ask many members of the crew how they feel about the
situation and I will post back here when I get back.

ink.net...

Old November 20th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Dick Goldhaber

We have never been on a "Carnival" ship although we have not cruised on any
ship that was not part of Carnival Cruise Lines since 1996.

Are they suggesting that $10 per passenger per day, $140 for a seven day
cruise, is sufficient to cover everyone that we come in contact with?

Room stewards, waiters, assistant waiters, table captains, wine stewards,
bar waiters, folks who deliver morning coffee to your cabin?

I have no problem with CCL adding a tip to any onboard service.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

ink.net...

Old November 20th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Eileen Garland

Good idea. It would be even more interesting if you make a mental note
of how you'd be inclined to tip each - I'd guess the people who
routinely give great service would prefer cash and those who don't would
prefer the cruiseline automatically charge tips.

Then again, I could be completely wrong! Perhaps especially if the line
is HAL, where it seems it's not unusual for people to NOT tip, at least
before HAL started adding in auto tips.

Eileen

Old November 21st, 2003, 12:57 AM
Jo-Ann

Yes, that means you don't have to tip when they are automatically
adding the tips to your shipboard account. However, you can adjust
those tips up or down. In addition, you can certainly hand somebody
some cash over and above the tips if you feel their service warrants
it.

We still always bring an envelope with singles to tip room service a
couple of bucks when we order.

Jo-Ann

Old November 21st, 2003, 01:25 AM
Sonny

I have seen first hand people who will skip the last
night dinner to avoid tipping.

This is a good reason for pre-paid gratuities. I always pre-pay and if we
get exceptional service we add more. If you can afford to cruise you can
afford tip those that make your cruise enjoyable