Alaskan Excursions, Newbie Questions...

Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:52 PM

Default Alaskan Excursions, Newbie Questions...

Greetings:

I've booked my cruise, (Pricess Voyage of the Galciers) and now I'm
looking at the various excursions.

From lurking here on the group I've already picked a Whale watching
excursion in Juneau but I have some questions on the other ports...

1. Assuming the timeing works out, is there any reason I could not
book an excursion with a diffrent cruise line (ie RCL) if they had
something I liked better than the Princess offerings?

2. As a general rule is is possible to book two or three shorter
excursions per stop or do the pre-set start times preclude this?

3. Should I spend extra time reseaching private excursions or are the
cruise line offerings a "good deal".

4. If I have a bit more to spend, Are there any "vip" excursions
avalible via the cruise line or stand alone? (ie. smaller groups,
faster service, etc... )

Thanks.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Charles

In article ,
" wrote:

1. Assuming the timeing works out, is there any reason I could not
book an excursion with a diffrent cruise line (ie RCL) if they had
something I liked better than the Princess offerings?

No. The tickets are delivered to your cabin. RCL won't deliver tickets
to your cabin on Princess.

2. As a general rule is is possible to book two or three shorter
excursions per stop or do the pre-set start times preclude this?

You could do more than one if the times don't overlap but I suggest not
trying to do too much. You will wear yourself out and not enjoy it.

3. Should I spend extra time reseaching private excursions or are the
cruise line offerings a "good deal".

It is a good idea to research private excursions. Private excursions
are almost always a better deal than the cruise line offerings.

4. If I have a bit more to spend, Are there any "vip" excursions
avalible via the cruise line or stand alone? (ie. smaller groups,
faster service, etc... )

Princess will list all the excursions available on their web site which
you can pre-book. That is generally it, although sometimes an excursion
gets deleted or one added that you will only be availble onboard.

--
Charles

Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:13 AM
wayne

Alaska is probably one of the best places to book your own. The people all
take dollars everyone speaks English phone calls are not a problem etc.. You
can also save some $$ or get better tours. Whale watching with Cap'n Larry
going Bear watching or fishing etc..

We did Whale watching and Bear watching the same day but booked the tour
thru the same place so there were no timing problems and the ship did not
leave until 10PM or so and with the late sunset daylight was not a problem
at all.

Wayne

" wrote in message
Greetings:

I've booked my cruise, (Pricess Voyage of the Galciers) and now I'm
looking at the various excursions.

From lurking here on the group I've already picked a Whale watching

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:13 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:52:11 -0500 in rec.travel.cruises,
" wrote:

3. Should I spend extra time reseaching private excursions or are the
cruise line offerings a "good deal".

they're never a "good deal" because the vendors have to pay
kickbacks to the cruise line. you can easily get better deals
once you get away from the docks, where the cruise lines have
outbid local vendors for the booth space.

for instance, you can catch local busses in juneau to go to
mendenhall glacier for $5 each way --- compare *that* to the
cruise line price!

If you want to see the real Alaska, don't come on a
cruise ship! See the cruise industry rogue's gallery
at http://www.cruisejunkie.com/#Environmental_Issues

Dennis P. Harris
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:03 AM

Thanks for all the quick responses.

One more question, are there any escorted excursions targed at kids
(age's 12 and 9) that would allow them to go without mom and dad?
They would love the chance for a little independence.

wrote:

Greetings:

I've booked my cruise, (Pricess Voyage of the Galciers) and now I'm
looking at the various excursions.

From lurking here on the group I've already picked a Whale watching

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:04 AM

You could do more than one if the times don't overlap but I suggest not
trying to do too much. You will wear yourself out and not enjoy it.

I'm afraid we are the "do it all in a day or die trying" type of
travellers. Rest is for when you get back from a vacation!

Tally Ho!