Airmiles Programs

Old March 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

Default Airmiles Programs

I have been a member of airmiles programs for almost three decades. I've
started bailing out of the programs because they all suck terribly. I
dumped Skymiles two years ago, after finally getting two first class tickets
to Thailand. My problem is that I still have a ton of miles left on
American Advantage and US Air. I'm trying to cash in my US Air miles for a
partner award on Singapore Air (first class) and told there aren't two seats
available 11 months out for my planned itinerary (LAX-HAN return). This is
pretty typical, so US Air will be the next program I dump.

Anyone have any secrets about getting two first class awards on Singapore
Air using Dividend miles? Would calling every week or so possibly yield a
couple first class tickets before the end of the year?

American, you're next.

Old March 9th, 2008, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

In article LQCAj.3157$Mp4.3105@trndny02,
"Sharkbait" wrote:

Anyone have any secrets about getting two first class awards on Singapore
Air using Dividend miles? Would calling every week or so possibly yield a
couple first class tickets before the end of the year?

This is a classic example of the absolutely infuriating practice of
airlines hyping their awards programs, then simply not making sufficient
seats available to deliver anything approaching the award travel they've
promised to their frequent flyers.

Options for victims like Sharkbait? Not many good ones. Actions that
/might/ eventually get a response -- but are not that easy to implement:

1) Class action suit: Get enough angry mileage holders, coupled with
some adequately aggressive attorneys; collect a lot of the glossy
brochures and ads that the target airline distributes touting its award
program; charge bad faith, false and dishonest advertising, fraudulent
dealing; generate as much damaging publicity as possible; maybe force
major changes in policy.

2) Ditto, except small claims court. Unlikely to be successful from
purely legal viewpoint, but maybe enough hassle and bad publicity will
eventually force some response.

3) Legislative approach: Find a consumer-oriented elected
representative who's sympathetic to the victims of these policies, try
to rouse potential legislative action, hearings, negative publicity,
potential threats that if the airlines don't shape up voluntarily, the
govt may force them to do so.

4) The Walter Mitty approach: As an individual, set an obviously
reasonable target: you want two seats, on any suitable flight of their
choice within, say, a two-week period centered way out when you want to
fly. Show up in person at one of their ticket offices or counters,
state what you want, make clear you'll just occupy that counter space
and tie up that service rep with your totally reasonable request,
nonstop from opening to closing hours, gradually turning up the
publicity aspects as time goes on, until they deliver on your request.
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

AES wrote;

4) The Walter Mitty approach: As an individual, set an obviously
reasonable target: you want two seats, on any suitable flight of their
choice within, say, a two-week period centered way out when you want to
fly. Show up in person at one of their ticket offices or counters,
state what you want, make clear you'll just occupy that counter space
and tie up that service rep with your totally reasonable request,
nonstop from opening to closing hours, gradually turning up the
publicity aspects as time goes on, until they deliver on your request.

I like option #4 but now days it is likely to get you accused of being a
terrorist and land you in some TSA gulag.for a little bit of waterboarding
action.

rg

Old March 9th, 2008, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Sharkbait" wrote:
Anyone have any secrets about getting two first class awards on
Singapore Air using Dividend miles? Would calling every week
or so possibly yield a couple first class tickets before the end of

Dropping FF programs 'cuz seats are hard to get is the proverbial
cutting off your nose to spite your face... you'll be sure not to get
any seats that way. I've scored many seats over the last 15 years,
including 1st class from the East Coast to Rome and to Hawaii, by
being flexible with my travel dates, times and connections, such as
asking for departure on any day within in two week window with
a return any day, 15 to 25 days, and accepting /just about/ any
connection on any affiliated airline.

Old March 9th, 2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

Rog wrote:

being flexible with my travel dates, times and connections, such as
asking for departure on any day within in two week window with
a return any day, 15 to 25 days, and accepting /just about/ any
connection on any affiliated airline.

To be clear, I requested two first class or two business class seats anytime
between Oct and Feb (next year). I think that is pretty flexible. That
leaves me with Thai Air, ANA, or Asiana to try next. Not sure which of
these carriers is the best. Skytrax rates Asiana five-star and both ANA and
Thai four-star.

rg

Old March 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rupa Bose www.rupabose.org

On Mar 8, 7:11 pm, "Sharkbait" wrote:
Rog wrote:
being flexible with my travel dates, times and connections, such as
asking for departure on any day within in two week window with
a return any day, 15 to 25 days, and accepting /just about/ any
connection on any affiliated airline.

To be clear, I requested two first class or two business class seats anytime
between Oct and Feb (next year). I think that is pretty flexible. That
leaves me with Thai Air, ANA, or Asiana to try next. Not sure which of
these carriers is the best. Skytrax rates Asiana five-star and both ANA and
Thai four-star.

rg

They are all three pretty darn good choices...

Old March 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Sharkbait wrote:
I have been a member of airmiles programs for almost three decades. I've
started bailing out of the programs because they all suck terribly.

Why would you "bail out" of the programs
If you continue to fly the carriers for other reasons, it's not a big
deal to keep your ff number in the reservations.
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Rog' wrote:

"Sharkbait" wrote:

Anyone have any secrets about getting two first class awards on
Singapore Air using Dividend miles? Would calling every week
or so possibly yield a couple first class tickets before the end of

Dropping FF programs 'cuz seats are hard to get is the proverbial
cutting off your nose to spite your face... you'll be sure not to get
any seats that way. I've scored many seats over the last 15 years,
including 1st class from the East Coast to Rome and to Hawaii, by
being flexible with my travel dates, times and connections, such as
asking for departure on any day within in two week window with
a return any day, 15 to 25 days, and accepting /just about/ any
connection on any affiliated airline.

Agred. So what if he can't get first class seats on Singapore Air, there
are other options. What about Business Class? What about first class on
another carrier? What about upgrade awards?
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Sharkbait wrote:

Rog wrote:

being flexible with my travel dates, times and connections, such as
asking for departure on any day within in two week window with
a return any day, 15 to 25 days, and accepting /just about/ any
connection on any affiliated airline.

To be clear, I requested two first class or two business class seats anytime
between Oct and Feb (next year). I think that is pretty flexible.

Have you considered another destination?
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Harry

On Mar 9, 7:24*pm, "Mr. Travel" wrote:
Sharkbait wrote:
Rog wrote:

being flexible with my travel dates, times and connections, such as
asking for departure on any day within in two week window with
a return any day, 15 to 25 days, and accepting /just about/ any
connection on any affiliated airline.

To be clear, I requested two first class or two business class seats anytime
between Oct and Feb (next year). *I think that is pretty flexible.

Have you considered another destination?

I have airpoints dollars with Air New Zealand. Instead of getting
hundreds of thousands of points, you get smaller amounts of points.
The points are redeemable for 1 point = $1 so you can buy any seat on
any flight for sale. You just have to have enough points. So if a
business class return trip from Auckland to LAX is $10,000. All you
need is 10,000 airpoints dollars and you can purchase the seat. None
of this "limited seat availability for airmile redemptions. If you
have the points, you get the seat.