Airmiles Programs

Old March 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

Default Airmiles Programs

"Harry" wrote:
I have airpoints dollars with Air New Zealand. Instead of getting
hundreds of thousands of points, you get smaller amounts of points.
The points are redeemable for 1 point = $1 so you can buy any seat
on any flight for sale. You just have to have enough points. So if a
business class return trip from Auckland to LAX is $10,000. All
you need is 10,000 airpoints dollars and you can purchase the seat.
None of this "limited seat availability for airmile redemptions. If you
have the points, you get the seat.
---------------
Whoa! Way too simple for the U.S. Cuts too many bean-counters.

Old March 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
-hh

"Mr. Travel" wrote:
Sharkbait wrote:
Rog wrote:

being flexible with my travel dates, times and connections, such as
asking for departure on any day within in two week window with
a return any day, 15 to 25 days, and accepting /just about/ any
connection on any affiliated airline.

To be clear, I requested two first class or two business class seats anytime
between Oct and Feb (next year). *I think that is pretty flexible.

Have you considered another destination?

He shouldn't have to. If a customer can't redeem an offered seat on
an offered route when the request is for any day in a ~6 month window
that's ~6 months in the future, then for practical purposes the
'rewards' being marketed by the FFM program is bull**** and possibly
blatant fraud.

My recommendation to Sharkbait would be to document the non-
availability in writing, along with the date that you inquired, and
then find out how to make something called an "Executive Complaint" at
the airline in question.

An EC is essentially a complaint that invokes a higher level of
review; it has to be signed off by a typically more senior VP. As
such, they have a better chance of getting resolved in the customer's
favor. Might want to call customer service on your FF phone# and ask
them how to go about filing an EC (don't ask if it exists...instead,
assume that does).

Also, other information to find out is exactly what they define their
free seat limit is...eg, 2 free 1st Class seats per flight, etc.

-hh

Old March 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sean[_1_]

Sharkbait wrote:

I have been a member of airmiles programs for almost three decades. I've
started bailing out of the programs because they all suck terribly. I
dumped Skymiles two years ago, after finally getting two first class
tickets
to Thailand. My problem is that I still have a ton of miles left on
American Advantage and US Air. I'm trying to cash in my US Air miles for
a partner award on Singapore Air (first class) and told there aren't two
seats
available 11 months out for my planned itinerary (LAX-HAN return). This
is pretty typical, so US Air will be the next program I dump.

Anyone have any secrets about getting two first class awards on Singapore
Air using Dividend miles? Would calling every week or so possibly yield a
couple first class tickets before the end of the year?

I believe the issue is with Singapore Airlines releasing multiple award
seats at once, rather than your frequent flyer program.

I have the same issue here with my own UK based scheme when booking First
class flights with Singapre. Apparently the only way is to book one first
class seat and wait for another one to become available and then snap it
up. (and to be willing to pay cancellation fees if a new seat does not
become available)

Sean

P.S. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and will just fly business
instead.
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 00:37:11 -0800 (PST) Harry
wrote:

:I have airpoints dollars with Air New Zealand. Instead of getting
:hundreds of thousands of points, you get smaller amounts of points.
:The points are redeemable for 1 point = $1 so you can buy any seat on
:any flight for sale. You just have to have enough points. So if a
:business class return trip from Auckland to LAX is $10,000. All you
:need is 10,000 airpoints dollars and you can purchase the seat. None
:of this "limited seat availability for airmile redemptions. If you
:have the points, you get the seat.

The down side (for real FF'ers) is that all the dollars are equal.

100K miles is worth more than 2 sets of 50K miles. Did you ever wonder why the
airlines do not allow combined accounts? Because of that.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old March 9th, 2008, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

Mr. Travel wrote;

Have you considered another destination?

My ultimate destination is Vietnam, where I have family. I have entertained
the idea of entering from a different city, like Hong Kong, Kunming,
Bangkok, and Singapore. Taiwan would be an option but I don't have miles
with EVA. China would be a little problematic, requiring a double-entry
visa (except for Hong Kong).

I have also used Japan Air to fly into Vietnam but I was a little let down
by JAL's service.

rg

Old March 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

Mr. Travel wrote;

Agred. So what if he can't get first class seats on Singapore Air, there
are other options. What about Business Class? What about first class on
another carrier? What about upgrade awards?

I believe I also said that I would take two business class seats on SA. I
am also contemplating three other carriers, including Thai Air, ANA, and
Asiana. In the past, I've been met with same BS when it comes trying to
find two first class tickets on any of these damn carriers.

rg

Old March 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

Mr. Travel wrote;

Why would you "bail out" of the programs
If you continue to fly the carriers for other reasons, it's not a big deal
to keep your ff number in the reservations.

I just retired. I have over a million FF miles. After I use these up I'll
be flying the best deals. No more allegiance to the airlines. Got to use
them fast because now they simply take them away if you don't use them.
They can all kiss my ass.
rg

Old March 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

Sean wrote;

P.S. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and will just fly business
instead.

Again, there is nothing wrong with SA business class. I'll take it in a
heartbeat if I could snag two seats together.

rg

Old March 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Sean" wrote:
I believe the issue is with Singapore Airlines releasing multiple
award seats at once, rather than your frequent flyer program.

Kind'a like a TS Vacation Club membership I have (Hilton)...
You can have a butt-load of points in your account, but until a
resort releases inventory to the system, you won't be able to go
there, and there's no telling how much or when it happens. I
searched every day for about five weeks to find a specific week
in Cancun, and there was nothing, until suddenly inexplicably,
one day, it was wide open.

Old March 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

In article
,
-hh wrote:

He shouldn't have to. If a customer can't redeem an offered seat on
an offered route when the request is for any day in a ~6 month window
that's ~6 months in the future, then for practical purposes the
'rewards' being marketed by the FFM program is bull**** and possibly
blatant fraud.

The last four words of this paragraph, with the third from last word
deleted, are my long-standing view of the broader situation; and the
airlines will somehow eventually have to be forced to cease perpetuating
this widespread and indeed blatant fraud