Tips for first time flier?

Old October 4th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Nile

Any tips, hints, information, websites, etc.

As for the flight itself, I remember my first flight and you'll be more
relaxed if you know what's happening during takeoff. First you take
your seat (the number is on the ceiling up above the seats). When
everybody's seated, the plane backs up then drives forward slowly out to
the runway. Then you stop, waiting your turn to take off. After a
minute or two (maybe several at Atlanta), the plane starts speeding up
and going very fast. The ride is a little bumpy, like riding a (very
fast) bus. (It's at this point that I usually lean back and close my
eyes!) Then there's a small bump and suddenly it's smoother, and you're
going upward, meaning of course that you've left the ground. After a
few minutes the jet engines may sound like they've died; don't worry,
all it means is that you've reached altitude and you're not climbing
anymore, so the engines don't have to push as hard (you can feel the
plane levelling out). You'll also hear a few creaks on the way up;
that's just the interior plastic parts (bathroom doors, seats, etc.)
moving around some. Once you're up, everything is fine (hopefully no
turbulence), and landing I find interesting to watch ... none of the
bumps and noises of takeoff.

As someone else said, take plenty to read. Between waiting at the
airport and your time on the plane, you'll want something to occupy your
mind.

After flying a long distance in just two or three hours, it will be rare
that you take a car again on a long trip.

Old October 4th, 2004, 05:32 AM
JamesStep

You'll also hear a few creaks on the way up...

Another sound you'll probably hear after takeoff is the
landing gear being retracted -- a whining sound and then
a thump. Also, you'll sometimes hear a whining sound from
outside the plane as the flaps on the wings change positions.
You may hear these sounds again during descent.

And an unrelated thought -- if you're packing any prescription
medicine, keep it in your carry-on bag, as checked baggage
can occasionally get lost or delayed. And I always keep a note
in my wallet listing my prescriptions, my Doctor's name and
phone number, etc., just as an extra precaution in case my
medicine gets lost or whatever.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Kathy" wrote in message
Thanks Keith! I have several forms of arthritis, a muscle disorder, and
other things. I have to move around a lot even when sitting,

Try to ensure you get an aisle seat.

I have arthritis myself and find being able to get out of the
seat and stretch without bothering others is invaluable.

Keith

Old October 4th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Peter L

"Kathy" wrote in message
Hello! If all goes well I will be traveling from Atlanta, GA to Halifax,
Nova Scotia, in a few months. The only traveling I've done is private

car,
or once by bus. Any tips, hints, information, websites, etc. that you can
give me to help make this fun instead of a huge headache, I would really
appreciate it!

Thanks!

Get to the airport in plenty of time so you won't be rushing around. Don't
wear too much jewelry so you won't set off the metal detector.

---

Old October 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Pan

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:28:44 -0400, "Kathy"
wrote:

Hello! If all goes well I will be traveling from Atlanta, GA to Halifax,
Nova Scotia, in a few months. The only traveling I've done is private car,
or once by bus. Any tips, hints, information, websites, etc. that you can
give me to help make this fun instead of a huge headache, I would really
appreciate it!

Thanks!

First of all, I hope you have a great trip!

(1) Take a good meal on board. Airline food is usually lousy. I'd
recommend a good sandwich.
(2) Take Afrin or a generic equivalent with you. This over-the-counter
decongestant is the most effective protection against earaches from
the rapid changes in air pressure on takeoff and landing, but not
everyone needs it. So my recommendation is, take some in your carry-on
luggage, don't take it before takeoff, and see whether you have
trouble. If you do, make sure to take it about 30 minutes before
landing. If you don't, leave it unopened and save it for another day.
I sometimes need it and sometimes don't.
(3) I agree with the others: Put everything that's really essential in
your carry-on luggage. I always put my flute (I'm a professional
flutist), my medications, and my toiletries in my carryon luggage,
along with any book(s) I may want to look at during the flight, and of
course my passport and, when I take them, traveller's checks (with the
receipts packed in a separate bag). If I'm travelling for long enough
to need a larger bag for my clothes, I am willing to check them, or
some of them. I haven't yet lost any bags but I think it did happen a
long time ago that I had to wait a day for them to come back, as they
were misrouted.
(4) I saw a recommendation that you get an aisle seat, but I'd
recommend a window seat. Actually, I always request window seats, but
especially on your first flight, you'll want to see what land looks
like from a plane.
(5) I can't stress enough that you should make sure you don't put any
confiscatable objects in your carry-on luggage. Don't bring scissors,
and if you do, put them in your checked baggage; otherwise, they'll be
confiscated. Don't be concerned if your shoes or belt buckle contains
metal. They'll probably make you take off your shoes in any case, but
probably not the belt. But I do agree that it's not a good idea to
wear lots and lots of metal jewelry. A pair of earrings are fine, but
lots of necklaces are a bad idea.
(6) Be prepared for the possibility that your flight itself may not be
a lot of fun. I don't love flying myself, and do find it mostly a
hassle. But you will probably have some great views at some point
during the flight, and while flying may be a hassle, it makes travel
time a whole lot shorter, so that you can spend more time enjoying
your visit, which is the whole point! :-)

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:12:07 -0400, "Kathy"
wrote:

WalMart shopping list - sports bra that simple slides on, no metal. Check!
I'll check my sneakers to see if they have any metal, I don't think so. I'll
smile if I'm not airsick! lol That's on my list of things to look for,
medicine for that.

Airsickness is very rare, much less common than seasickness. I fly a
lot and have only once been on a flight where I felt a bit less than
peakish. On that flight, several people got a bit airsick, but it was
very unusual circumstances, including a bumpy flight and a long time
circling the airport on arrival.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:09 PM
anonymous

The key to successfuly first-time air travel is just relaxing and not
worrying about anything. 99.9999% of problems people have with flying
are derived, ultimately, from nothing more than irrational fear. And
remember . . . it's far safer than traveling in a car.

Hi,

when flying to Jamaica for my wedding with my bride, 2 kids, mother, and
brother-and-sister'n'law the last 2 had never flown.

they were a bit scared...

until I mentioned to them the most dangerous part of the trip was the
drive to the airport.

Old October 4th, 2004, 03:15 PM
ncurtis

"Kathy" wrote in message ...
Hello! If all goes well I will be traveling from Atlanta, GA to Halifax,
Nova Scotia, in a few months. The only traveling I've done is private car,
or once by bus. Any tips, hints, information, websites, etc. that you can
give me to help make this fun instead of a huge headache, I would really
appreciate it!

Couple more tips:
- Atlanta's airport is HUGE. Use the train to get to your gate, if you
can.
- Be patient. Both air and international travel involve lots of
waiting and lines.
- Don't try to use your cell phone once the doors of the plane close,
unless the captain or flight attendant specifically says it's OK.
- The safety demonstration is mandatory on all flights in/from the
U.S., so you'll get told about oxygen masks and life preservers even
though the odds of you using them is miniscule.
- Chew gum, drink water, or use hard candies to cope with popping
ears.
- Bathrooms in most planes make broom closets look spacious. You have
been warned ;-) .
- If you have to change planes, look for airline staff or a bank of
computer monitors labeled "Departures"--double-check the time of
departure and gate for your second flight.
- Pack light. You must be able to handle your own carry-on--most
flight attendants do not put them in overhead bins for you. In small
planes, any carry-on bigger than a large purse will get "gate-checked"
and will not be available to you during the flight...means you need to
decide what is truly essential to have with you all the time, BEFORE
you get to the airport. Sometimes checked (vs. gate-checked) luggage
gets misplaced for a day or 2, so your carry-on should include a
toothbrush, comb, and 1 pair each of socks and underwear as well as
essential medications and papers (these last 2, in something so small
you don't need to gate-check it). But not much more...air travel is
not a time to be ultra-girly.
- You might have to fly part of the trip in a small, propeller-driven
plane. They're noisy, but otherwise OK.

And a few Canada tips...
- Wear layers. Start keeping your heat down at 65 now, or you'll just
about die in Canada.
- Although NS is an English-speaking province, all announcements,
signs, etc. will be duplicated in French as well as English.

Nancy