Where's my luggage ???

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Miss L. Toe

Default Where's my luggage ???

Plane 'to clear luggage backlog'
British Airways (BA) has announced a specially chartered plane will help
clear the backlog of 7,000 bags caused by Heathrow flight cancellations.
The Boeing 777, bound for New York, will have undelivered bags both in its
hold and cabin.

BA has already used a fleet of lorries to deliver the luggage across the
continent, and FedEx for other bags.

The airline says some 4,000 pieces of baggage are still being processed, but
should be cleared by Wednesday morning.

The airline last week cancelled some 100 flights due to bad weather
conditions.

The breakdown of two conveyor belts at terminals one and four on Tuesday and
Saturday added to the chaos.

The problems with the backlog of bags... is the result of the heavy
number of cancellations they [BA] had to make during the bad weather
Heathrow Airport spokesman

"We are doing absolutely everything we can to and offer our sincere
apologies to passengers," a spokeswoman for BA said on Monday.
"We have managed to clear the majority of the bags.

"We hope it will be clear in the next few days."

She added that some 100 volunteers were helping to sort the luggage at
Heathrow.

A spokesman for the airport said that the backlog was mainly caused by the
heavy number of cancellations following freak storms.

He added that the technical glitch at terminal one on Tuesday was fixed by
Wednesday morning, while the problem with another conveyor belt at terminal
four on Saturday was rectified later the same day.

"These technical difficulties in the baggage system have only contributed to
a small extent to the overall backlog of bags," he said.

BA has advised customers to write to the customer relations department with
details of their claims, or call the airline's baggage tracing number 08457
22276.

Have you been affected by the BA luggage backlog? Send us your comments and
experiences.

Your comments

We have just received our luggage from BA. I have waited a week for the
luggage only to find the clothes either wet, damp or mouldy. One of the
baggage items had holes and grease on it and some of the clothes had holes
in them. I am currently in the process of writing a daily itemised account
of my actions while trying to retrieve my luggage. We fly to the States a
couple of times a year. This is the first time in 9 years that we have had
any problems. No-one at customer relations or the baggage information
tracing helpline was able to tell me when I was to receive my luggage. The
staff at BA were so busy that they were unable to update the internet until
after I received the luggage! This was the first time we flew with BA and
will probably be the last!
Vicky Boden, Warrington, UK

Can you believe I have been without my luggage since Tuesday last week, so
now 7 days, and still BA can provide no update on when I might expect it. I
travelled to Geneva, and spent Wednesday through to Sunday evening with no
luggage, plus no explanation as to what had happened. The BA website tracing
facility still tells me that tracing continues, although I understand the
bag is still airside at Heathrow. I wrote to BA's customer relations
department yesterday morning, exasperated, and asking for help, but as yet
have received no response. As a customer who travels with BA at least every
month, I am very disappointed, particularly at the lack of information.
Andrew Osborne, Hemel Hempstead, UK

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...on/3550894.stm

Published: 2004/08/10 11:42:19 GMT