Air Madrid has suspended all of its flights leaving thousands of passengers stranded over Christmas.

Old December 15th, 2006, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
chinchillakilla

Default Air Madrid has suspended all of its flights leaving thousands of passengers stranded over Christmas.

Air Madrid has suspended all of its flights leaving thousands of
passengers stranded over Christmas.

It is reported between 200,000 and 300,000 passengers could be
abandoned as a result of the airline's action. Its main destinations
are Buenos Aires, Sao Paolo and Mexico.

The independent carrier is blaming its actions on a development
ministry threat to suspend its licence.

The budget airline said ticket sales had fallen dramatically since the
announcement from the development ministry and suppliers had refused it
credit.

The airline said: "Air Madrid has decided to suspend its activities
from today.

"The development ministry has managed to completely destroy Air
Madrid's commercial image and has placed our company in a very serious
crisis which prevents us from carrying on our work."

No-one was available to comment at the ministry, which is responsible
for transport policy and made the threat to Air Madrid after a series
of long delays in flight departures and near-riots at airports.

The delays of up to 60 hours resulted in heated protests at airports
and forced some passengers to spend the night sleeping on their
aircraft while waiting for it to take off.

The airline said the vast majority of its suppliers were refusing to
provide goods and services on credit because of the wide media coverage
of the ministry's threat.

The ministry said that Air Madrid had not fully carried out an action
plan to cut delays, saying it would have to present new information to
support its case to keep flying.

In response, the airline promised to cut its flights by 20 per cent,
scrap some routes and offer discounts to delayed passengers.

Old December 16th, 2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

chinchillakilla wrote:

Air Madrid has suspended all of its flights leaving thousands of
passengers stranded over Christmas.

It is reported between 200,000 and 300,000 passengers could be
abandoned as a result of the airline's action.

How many of these haven't left their origin yet?
They aren't really "abandoned". They can just drive/train/bus home.

Old December 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

scRunge wrote:

hey newport would be journalist we can read the news, no need for you !

Air Madrid sounds like a "fishy" outfit, the sort of clapped - out
"business" scRunge would run...

--
Best
Greg

Old December 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

chinchillakilla wrote:

[...]

With service like this it's prolly best the outfit has been put out of
it's misery: Sounds like the kind of SLEAZY concern scRunge/Reef Fish
would head:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/airmadrid.htm

Air Madrid - by Takeshi Martinez

"MAD-EZE Overbooked on the way out, were promised compensation, still
haven't received anything. Their customer service numbers +34 91
201-6045, -6765 and -6023 ring unanswered. They do not reply to email.
I don't know what else to try ! Although I was provided a hotel for the
night, I lost 1 day on a 10 day trip. Then the flight was delayed, the
food terrible, service well - how long would you be able to stay polite
and good humoured when all the passengers you are serving are fed up
because of delays, waiting in interminable queues, having to fight for
a place, bad food and not much of it ("I'm sorry sir, 1 piece of bread
per person!"), cramped seating, broken toilets, no TV, or even a light
to read a book?! Again the return was delayed, I arrived at 07h30 for a
flight that should have left at 11h30 to find out that it was delayed
until 17h. There was an organised trip to a nearby restaurant, which is
the minimum when you are expected to wait a day to get onto a flight. I
didn't miss my connection but I overheard other passengers that would
be missing their connections and if the connection was not served by
Air Madrid, Air Madrid would do nothing about it. I know Air Madrid is
the only low-cost alternative and has made it financially affordable to
fly to Latin America, but the price in terms of time and mental health
is very high. I for one, will NOT be flying with Air Madrid again."

Air Madrid - by Henry Hays

"Madrid to Buenos Aires. Outbound 4 hours delayed, unscheduled stop at
Las Palmas, cramped seats, lost luggage on arrival in BA, lost
connecting flight to Montevideo. Return trip: on arrival in BA from a
connecting flight and while in transit at the airport, we were told the
plane was full and to get lost. Had to leave airport (and after
haggling, were put up in hotel); next day had to pay boarding tax again
(which they refunded in local currency); plane due was again 4-5 hours
late; reading lights did not work; flight entertainment at seat did not
work; only one meal for 14 hour flight; arrival in Madrid 1 hour late;
almost no ground staff at airports, who did not want to be found. In
short, a terrible flight experience - never again will I fly Air
Madrid."

Air Madrid - by Kristian Axelsen

'MAD-FOR. The plane was 5 hours delayed (from 23.50 to 04.40), but
departure was announced for 3.00 and check-in 2.10, so information was
awful, and when we boarded the flight, service and friendliness were
non-existant. Furthermore, seat-lights were not working, several parts
of the interior (e.g. armrests, tables), were kept together with gaffa-
tape, and the air-condition made it rain over several seats with
intervals. Based on this experience the airline cannot be recommended
at all."

Air Madrid - by Milos Sedlak

"Madrid-Panama City. 4 hours in queue to check-in, another 8 hours
waiting for departure = total delay 12 hours! Horrible experience!
Announcements in Spanish only, no English. Waiting for departure almost
turned to incident between tired and angry passengers and Air Madrid
personnel who asked for police assistance to avoid clash. Exhausted
passengers finally boarded after 12 hours of waiting toA 330 with
failing A/C and dirty - moreover failing toilets. Onboard service slow,
but food and beverage offer fair. Impossible to sleep - too hot, too
tight space between seats. Persistent problems with computer system
evoking fear at take off. Sorry, but no more Air Madrid."

/

Old December 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Runge

Default morrow says ; here guys ! I'm funny ! read my stuff !

morow the moron strikes again

"Gregory Morrow" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

Old December 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

Default martin says : hey ! morrow is a real nice guy you know !

spend your Xmas time with martin and morrow, they have plenty of time for
you !
Lots of fun and love from the 2 best writers of the group.
Sexual anxiety ?
morrow and martin, the 2 travel stooges will be glad to help.
Meet them at the evleth's end of the year party, you'll recognize them
easily, they are the guys with the funny hats on !!

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de news:
On 16 Dec 2006 06:09:16 -0800, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

scRunge wrote:

hey newport would be journalist we can read the news, no need for you !

Air Madrid sounds like a "fishy" outfit, the sort of clapped - out
"business" scRunge would run...

..is Mrs gRunge, the Paris village bike hub.
--

Martin

Old December 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Ulf Kutzner

Mike Hunt schrieb:

It is reported between 200,000 and 300,000 passengers could be
abandoned as a result of the airline's action.

How many of these haven't left their origin yet?
They aren't really "abandoned". They can just drive/train/bus home.

But they have paid $$ for their air tickets and maybe $$ for hotel at
destination.

Regards, ULF
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Calif Bill

"Ulf Kutzner" wrote in message
Mike Hunt schrieb:

It is reported between 200,000 and 300,000 passengers could be
abandoned as a result of the airline's action.

How many of these haven't left their origin yet?
They aren't really "abandoned". They can just drive/train/bus home.

But they have paid $$ for their air tickets and maybe $$ for hotel at
destination.

Regards, ULF

May be out part of the $$$ for hotels, but if they paid for air tickets with
Credit Card, then they should get the money back. Nice CC feature.