Possible Refund Ever?

Old November 20th, 2005, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Possible Refund Ever?

Suppose a week before a cruise, a parent or spouse died, would Carnival
refund monies paid? Has anyone ever tried to get a refund. The travel
agent never told us about insurance.

Harry

Old November 20th, 2005, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article ,
wrote:

Suppose a week before a cruise, a parent or spouse died, would Carnival
refund monies paid? Has anyone ever tried to get a refund. The travel
agent never told us about insurance.

I have heard of people trying but have never heard of anyone ever
getting a refund. I guess it would not hurt to try. It is pretty
unusual to have a travel agent not mention insurance. If they really
didn't I suggest not doing business with them in the future. Since you
mention either a parent or spouse--I hope this is a hypothetical
question. If it is hypothetical you can still purchase insurance from a
third party company but it probably won't cover a pre-existing
condition.

--
Charles
Old November 20th, 2005, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote

Suppose a week before a cruise, a parent or spouse died, would Carnival
refund monies paid?

Not usually.

Has anyone ever tried to get a refund.

Many times..... none that I know of were successful. I seem to recall one
case where Carnival let the people re-schedule the cruise at another time,
but I believe that was a rare exception.

The travel agent never told us about insurance.

I recall from other posts that this was to be your first cruise.... and I
assume you were never told about cancellation penalties. If I were you, I'd
bust hard on the travel agent.

FWIW... you are going to have a rough time getting anything from anyone.
Carnival's cancellation penalties and insurance information are on their
website and in their brochures and in your ticket booklet that you should
have gotten about a month before sailing. I don't doubt that your TA didn't
specifically tell you about travel insurance, but I'm betting in the fine
print on your invoice or on their website, there is a disclaimer.

Still... in your position, if you absolutely can't go on your cruise.... I
would raise Hell with the TA. Let him or her put some effort into seeing if
any exception can be made at Carnival.

I am hoping your question was hypothetical... and that you and yours are
fine.

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/
May 20, 2006, Caribbean Princess - http://cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm

Old November 20th, 2005, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Harry,

Are you certain that you don't actually have insurance? A LOT of the time
they add it in and it's up to the purchaser to say they want it removed.
That scenario is more likely than their not having told you.

Regardless... cruise lines have heard it all before... the rules and
penalties are spelled out pretty clearly in several places and they
themselves recommend insurance in their brochures.

Are you thinking about not going and trying to figure out how to get out of
it?

Marsha

Old November 20th, 2005, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Harry,

Two weeks before we were scheduled to sail on HAL's Prinsendam I got
pneumonia and my daughter bronchitis and we were forced to cancel our
cruise.

HAL did credit us for our shore excursions and for our reservations at
Pinnacle, but everything else is on our insurance.

I cannot believe that you didn't have insurance and didn't know that it
existed.

DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old November 20th, 2005, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Marsha L" wrote:
Are you thinking about not going and trying to figure out
how to get out of it?

Perhaps someone in your party could to appear to have a heart
attack as you check in. I've heard that some chemical substances
in the right dose can simulate this. They may let you reschedule.
But it be safer to see if the TA didn't charge you for insurance,
and if there's time, buy it thru another source.

Old November 20th, 2005, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:
Suppose a week before a cruise, a parent or spouse died...

You'd probably not be able to refund or transfer their ticket,
but you could certainly go anyway. A week is plenty of time
in which to have a funeral, and probate can wait. =R=

Old November 20th, 2005, 03:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article ,
Marsha L wrote:

Are you thinking about not going and trying to figure out how to get out of
it?

I hope they were not trying to come up with a fake reason not to go. I
guess you could read that into their question.

--
Charles
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I don't think there was much question about the intention of the OP. He
didn't say that someone had died, he said what if someone died, and then
mentioned a couple of possibilities.

Marsha

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old November 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Possible Refund Ever? hey Harry

Suppose a week before a cruise, a parent or spouse died, would Carnival
refund monies paid? Has anyone ever tried to get a refund. The travel
agent never told us about insurance.

How about fleshing this story out with some details so that we will know
that you weren't just 'yankin our chain' ?