Napoli/Italy travel tips

Old April 18th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Tehiro

Default Napoli/Italy travel tips

Dear mates,

As part of my honeymoon, I'll be going with my future wife on mid June
to Napoli/Italy for 1 week.

Do you recommend places to visit in Napoli and around Napoli (the gulf
of Napoli). We like nature and history and good food and we are not
really museum fans.
And do you recommend a budget hotel/apartment to stay in either in
Napoli itself or in a location from where it'll be possible to cover
Napoli and its gulf.

Any recommendations or tips in general for Napoli since it seems to be
a wild place –which is something we like- are valuably appreciated. We
appreciate as well safety tips since safety seems to be an issue in
this part of Italy!
Thanks very much in advance,

Tehiro
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Thomas Peel

Tehiro schrieb:

Dear mates,

As part of my honeymoon, I'll be going with my future wife on mid June
to Napoli/Italy for 1 week.

Do you recommend places to visit in Napoli and around Napoli (the gulf
of Napoli). We like nature and history and good food and we are not
really museum fans.
And do you recommend a budget hotel/apartment to stay in either in
Napoli itself or in a location from where it'll be possible to cover
Napoli and its gulf.

How about staying out on Capri or Ischia? Naples and the surrounding
urban sprawl is huge, 3 million inhabitants.

Old April 19th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Keith

Tehiro,

Any recommendations or tips in general for Napoli since it seems to be
a wild place -which is something we like- are valuably appreciated. We
appreciate as well safety tips since safety seems to be an issue in
this part of Italy!

We really liked the town of Positano, with the buildings built into the
mountain, views of the water, etc. Positano is somewhat near Sorrento
(IIRC) and along the Amalfi Coast. Gorgeous area. Probably no more than
about 30 mins from Naples max.

FYI: Don't underestimate how shabby Naples can be in some sections. We did
not stay in Naples, but drove through it, and some places we saw were really
run-down. Yes, of course, any city with 1 million inhabitants will have run
down sections. The question, of course, how many places have 1 million
people AND had an unemployment rate of 42.7% ?? This is from 1994,
admittedly, which is a full ten years ago.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dpu-projects/Gl...pdfs/Naple.pdf has an
interesting report, if interested.

Pompeii was cool to see, especially the amphitheatre, very nice. Be
prepared for alot of walking, its tough on the feet and ankles. Wear
comfortable shoes/clothes that you don't mind getting dusty.

Thanks very much in advance,

Tehiro

Hope this helps,

Keith
Pittsburgh

Old April 20th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Tehiro

Dear mates,
Thnx for all valuable info in the contributions.
It seems we'll base ourselves in Naples an from there discover it and
discover the interesting places around it that you recommended.
So far I found 1 hotel in Naples that seem to be OK and not expensive
(80 Euro or less for a double room/night) with bathroom and air-con:
Hotel San Paolo, Via Terracina 159.
Has any one stayed in this hotel? do you recommend it? or do you
recommend other hotels/apartments that cost 80 Euro for a double rooom
per/night or less with bathroom and air-con?
Thnx again,
Tehiro
Old April 21st, 2004, 12:04 PM
Bruno Tredicine

Tehiro,
I don't know about this hotel, but I wouldn't give you as advise to
stay in via Terracina: it's very very far from center and far from
everything, not interesting at all in itself and uneasy to reach with
public transports, only slow rare buses.
You should search for accomodations near to subway and/or funicolare,
which are the fastest and more affordable way to move in Naples; now I
know there are many B& B in the very centre or Vomero hill, which is a
nice area too. I'm sorry I don't know any, but it shoudln't be
difficult with Google or something like that.
Greetings
Bruno Tredicine

Old April 21st, 2004, 02:05 PM
Juliana L Holm

I am visiting Naples also, and we have reserved a double room at the youth
hostel in Mergellina. AT only 32 Euro per night if you are REALLY on a budget
it is very good.

I'm not sure I would do this for my honeymoon, though.

--
Julie