A day in Nairobi..

Old April 16th, 2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
the_niner_nation

Default A day in Nairobi..

The way the flight timings etc are, I have a *whole* free day in Nairobi
before my safari..
does anyone have any suggestions for how i could spend the day in here?
Iv'e read the rough guide/lonley planet guides, but id rather hear from
people who actually have a tangible experience of the city :-)

I dont fancy going to out of the way places as I am somewhat paranoid about
how dangerous Nairobi is!!

Old April 17th, 2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
"the_niner_nation" wrote:

The way the flight timings etc are, I have a *whole* free day in Nairobi
before my safari..
does anyone have any suggestions for how i could spend the day in here?
Iv'e read the rough guide/lonley planet guides, but id rather hear from
people who actually have a tangible experience of the city :-)

I dont fancy going to out of the way places as I am somewhat paranoid about
how dangerous Nairobi is!!

You didn't mention your interests?
If it was me, I'd try for a whole day in Nairobi National Park, but
you'd have to contact a company for this. Maybe your land operator
will be able to help, otherwise try e.g. Express Travel Group. This
will be fairly expensive if you're on your own. Otherwise, the main
options a
Karen Blixen House/Langata Giraffe Centre
Bomas of Kenya (professional dancers doing traditional tribal dances)
National Museum
Railway museum
1/2 day trip into Nairobi NP. (morning or afternoon)

The first two and the last are offered by the tour desk at your
Nairobi hotel. You could always try 2 1/2 day trips into the NP.
If you've read or seen Out of Africa, the KBH is worth a visit.
I haven't seen Bomas of Kenya, but some of their dancers performed at
The Carnivore (now closed??) the last time I was there, and they were
very good.
The National Museum is a bit dated and shabby by international
standards, nevertheless is quite interesting and mounts 'special'
displays from time to time.
I haven't been to the Railway museum, but hear it's worth it for those
interested in railways.
Anything you can't get a trip to, you can ask your receptionist to
recommend a taxi to take you there.
My website has some info about NNP, KBH and Giraffe Manor, starting at
www.v-liz.com/safari/nairobiare/nairo.htm. I'm not selling anything
(but I must get a round tuit for updating the site sometime!)

Safari njema,

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:

Old April 17th, 2007, 08:00 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Africatraveler

On Apr 17, 1:46 am, "the_niner_nation"
wrote:
The way the flight timings etc are, I have a *whole* free day in Nairobi
before my safari..
does anyone have any suggestions for how i could spend the day in here?
Iv'e read the rough guide/lonley planet guides, but id rather hear from
people who actually have a tangible experience of the city :-)

I dont fancy going to out of the way places as I am somewhat paranoid about
how dangerous Nairobi is!!

Hello
I live in nairobi and here is my suggestion...

You might want to visit Karen Blixen Giraffe Centre.
This trip can be done either in the morning of in the afternoon. From
the town centre, drive towards Ngong Hills passing through the Ngong
village to the Karen Blixen Museum, for many years her home (as seen
in the movie 'out of Africa').

Later proceed to the Giraffe Centre where you will have the chance to
see the endangered Rothschild giraffe and hand feed them or drink tea
with the giraffes.

or
visit the Bomas of Kenya along Langata road. Bomas of Kenya is just
about 12 kilometres from the city centre and has numerous homesteads
reflecting Kenya's variety of cultures. The greatest excitement of
this visit in the afternoon will be a display of traditional dances,
music and other folklore traditional songs in a splendid arena.

Gerald
http://www.africapoint.com
Great Destinations, Great Prices

Old April 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
the_niner_nation

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

thank you for a very thoughtful reply.. i think i will go for the giraffe
centre :-)

Old April 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Stephen Robertson

One other place that I really enjoyed when I was in exactly your
situtaion was The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. Not so much of a
tourist attraction as it is only open for visitors an hour a day, but
a very worthwhile cause to support as well. We were traveling with
Kuoni and their local rep was able to organise this as part of a trip
to the Giraffe centre that was mentioned elsewhere.

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/index.asp

Enjoy your trip.
Stephen