Local German Tourist Information Office services

Old May 25th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Paul

Default Local German Tourist Information Office services

Hi,

My wife and I will be cycle touring in Germany in June. We intend to
stay at Bed and Breakfast accommodation along the way. Our german is
virtually nil.

Does anyone know if the Tourist Information Offices in the smaller
towns (we will be in the Neckar Valley region) will help us find
accommodation each night? Will they actually phone around on our
behalf?

Any help appreciated.
Paul
New Zealand.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Tim Challenger

On 25 May 2004 00:14:35 -0700, Paul wrote:

Hi,

My wife and I will be cycle touring in Germany in June. We intend to
stay at Bed and Breakfast accommodation along the way. Our german is
virtually nil.

Does anyone know if the Tourist Information Offices in the smaller
towns (we will be in the Neckar Valley region) will help us find
accommodation each night? Will they actually phone around on our
behalf?

Almost certainly. If you speak German they often leave you with a list of
places to phone yourself, but if they realise you're not hot in the
language department they'll phone around for you, find a room that fits
your wishes (if possible) and give you directions to the house.

Even if the tourist office says everything's booked, it can still be worth
a try strolling around the village looking for green "Zimmer frei" signs,
as not all B&Bs are on the tourist office's books.

--
Tim C.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Jens Arne Maennig

Paul wrote:

Does anyone know if the Tourist Information Offices in the smaller
towns (we will be in the Neckar Valley region)

Nice area. I grew up there. Must be nice. Not as nice as many regions
in NZ, though :-)

will help us find accommodation each night? Will they actually phone
around on our behalf?

Yes. If they're open. The business hours of those little tourist
informations are sometimes a bit funny.

But pretty often if you try at a place that is already booked out, they
will phone around for you or at least give you some hints or suggestions
where to try. I often had "We're booked out but my sister is als
renting out some rooms" experiences that turned out to be very nice.

Have fun.

Jens
Germany
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:28:23 +0200, Jens Arne Maennig wrote:

But pretty often if you try at a place that is already booked out, they
will phone around for you or at least give you some hints or suggestions
where to try. I often had "We're booked out but my sister is als
renting out some rooms" experiences that turned out to be very nice.

Right. The landladies/landlords are generally very helpful.
--
Tim C.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Martin Stock

Here some opening times of tourist offices:
Eberbach: Mo. - Fr. 08:30 - 12:00 &14:00 - 17:30
Mosbach: Mo. - Fr. 9.00 - 13:00 & 14:00 - 17:00, Sa. 9:00 - 13:00

And yes - they will find you a place.

om...

Old May 26th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Jens Arne Maennig

Martin Stock wrote:

Here some opening times of tourist offices:
Eberbach: Mo. - Fr. 08:30 - 12:00 &14:00 - 17:30
Mosbach: Mo. - Fr. 9.00 - 13:00 & 14:00 - 17:00, Sa. 9:00 - 13:00

Despite of the fact that Mosbach is not in the Neckar valley (maybe some
neighbour villages that hve been incorporated lately) - What shoul any
tourist want to do there?

Jens

PS: Mir Buchemer hebbe denne die Kreisreform nöinzehhunnertdreiäsiebzich
haalt immer no ned verziehe! SCNR
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Jens Arne Maennig

Martin Stock wrote:

Here some opening times of tourist offices:
Eberbach: Mo. - Fr. 08:30 - 12:00 &14:00 - 17:30
Mosbach: Mo. - Fr. 9.00 - 13:00 & 14:00 - 17:00, Sa. 9:00 - 13:00

Despite of the fact that Mosbach is not in the Neckar valley (maybe some
neighbour villages that have been incorporated lately) - What should any

Old May 26th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Martin Stock

"Jens Arne Maennig" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Martin Stock wrote:

Here some opening times of tourist offices:
Eberbach: Mo. - Fr. 08:30 - 12:00 &14:00 - 17:30
Mosbach: Mo. - Fr. 9.00 - 13:00 & 14:00 - 17:00, Sa. 9:00 - 13:00

Despite of the fact that Mosbach is not in the Neckar valley (maybe some
neighbour villages that have been incorporated lately) - What should any
tourist want to do there?

a) Enjoying that the tourist office is open on Saturday mornings
b) Viewing some nice half-timbered houses
http://www.mosbach.de/Palm_sches_Haus.html

The question is of course what a tourist should do in the suburbs of Mosbach
which ARE at the Neckar (Neckarelz, Diedesheim). Maybe the Mosbacher can
take comfort with the fact that Stuttgart is not on the Neckar either (only
suburb like Bad Cannstatt, Untertürkheim, ...). And compared to the
Nesenbach the Elz is wins hands down.

Jens

PS: Mir Buchemer hebbe denne die Kreisreform nöinzehhunnertdreiäsiebzich
haalt immer no ned verziehe! SCNR

Habe gerade das brandneue Buch von Josef Frank "Die Kreis- und
Gemeindereform im Raum Buchen von 1968 bis 1974" gelesen. Heul! Schnief!

Noch sou een Buchemer.

Old May 27th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Paul

(Paul) wrote in message . com...

Thanks to those who took the trouble to write with all the useful information.

Your help is appreciated.

Paul
New Zealand.

Old May 27th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Jens Arne Maennig

Martin Stock wrote:

b) Viewing some nice half-timbered houses
http://www.mosbach.de/Palm_sches_Haus.html

Oh yes. Palmsches Haus is really worth it. Especially as my picture was
hanging in it's shop windows for quite a while :-)

Habe gerade das brandneue Buch von Josef Frank "Die Kreis- und
Gemeindereform im Raum Buchen von 1968 bis 1974" gelesen. Heul! Schnief!

Wou kriechichen des her? Des könnt donebbe im Oberbayerische Exil
schwierich werdde. Noudfall mussich hald emol de Josef Frank ooruffe.
Werd sich scho no an miich erinnere.

Ich wees no wie höid wie mer im Januar 1973 in Buche uff de Schütt
demonschdriert hebbe. De Bollizei hot immer gsaad "Bleibt näher zamme"
und die Feuerwehr hot gruffe "Geehd weider ausnanner, dass der Zuuch
länger werd". Und mir hebbe immer gruffe "Mit uns kann man nicht alles
treiben, Buchen muss die Kreisstadt bleiben". War ä bissle wie beim
Gänsmarsch, blous a baar Wuche zu früh :-)

Jens