Tuscany Florence to Sienna

Old July 17th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Marg Henderson

Default Tuscany Florence to Sienna

I am in Florence in Oct. We want to travel from Florence to Sienna along
S222, visiting Greves, Radda and Castellina in Chianti along the way.

We don't want to rent a car unless necessay. How difficult are the busses.
Also has anyone ever grabbed a tour bus, or small excursion from Florence
to Sienna and followed this route?? Is this a one or two day leisurely
trip?

Should we travel both S2 and the S222? Any ideas on other good spots would
be appreciated.

Regards Marg
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Luca Logi

Marg Henderson wrote:

I am in Florence in Oct. We want to travel from Florence to Sienna along
S222, visiting Greves, Radda and Castellina in Chianti along the way.

We don't want to rent a car unless necessay. How difficult are the busses.
Also has anyone ever grabbed a tour bus, or small excursion from Florence
to Sienna and followed this route?? Is this a one or two day leisurely
trip?

Frankly, I never heard about tours following this route. This route is
quite slow, if compared to the ordinary S2, or (faster) motorway, and
tours usually have little time to spend along the road.

It can probably done by public transportation, if you do not mind very
sparse service, long waiting times and the danger of being stranded
somewhere if you miss a connection. I'd say that on such a route a car
is almost necessary (but, please, remember that I am only a local with
little connection to touristic industry).

With a car you can do the trip in single day, returning by the faster
motorway route and stopping a little in each town. Even the driving,
however, is very slow, as routes are endlessly winding.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:

Old July 18th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Kurt Weber/Debra Cole-Weber

Yes, the direct bus transportation is fine, but the OP asked about
making several stops along the way in towns not on the direct route. I
think it would be very difficult to do the stops mentioned by bus.

Another option would be to hire a car and driver, if you do not want to
drive yourself. You could hire the driver in Florence, procede to visit
two of the towns, and be left in the third, choosing a town from the
three that had good service to Siena.

So, if, let's say, Castellina had a good connection to Siena by bus, you
could have the driver take you to Radda and Greve for visits, and then
leave you in Castellina for the night. You could then spend the morning
visiting the town, have lunch, and catch a bus to Siena.

If you want to do an Internet search for routes to Siena, remember that
it is spelled with one n.

Shawn Hearn wrote:

In article ,
(Marg Henderson) wrote:

I am in Florence in Oct. We want to travel from Florence to Sienna along
S222, visiting Greves, Radda and Castellina in Chianti along the way.

We don't want to rent a car unless necessay. How difficult are the busses.

When I went from Florence to Sienna, the bus transportation was fine.

Old July 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Agena 2003

non-smoking restaurants in Italy
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/italy.shtml
Old July 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Agena 2003

Old July 20th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Lorz

Marg Henderson wrote:

I am in Florence in Oct. We want to travel from Florence to Sienna along
S222, visiting Greves, Radda and Castellina in Chianti along the way.

We don't want to rent a car unless necessay.

To stop along the way from Florence to Siena, you'll probably need to rent a
car. With a car, you'll also have your freedom to stop where and when you
want to. You can set your own time table. Do stop in Greve... it's a lovely
town. Last month, I stayed outside another wonderful little town called
Panzano, which is a bit south of Greve.

Have fun!