Upgrade at time of booking????

Old March 5th, 2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Upgrade at time of booking????

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone else has been given an upgrade at the time of
booking. My dad made a reservation for room on the Coral Princess for
April 18 of 2007. He requested any available AD stateroom and was told
he could have that room or except a free upgrade. In any event he took
the free upgrade. Did that as the location is not important and figured
we would only get something better. Won't know which room we are in
until we get ready to board, but I could be wrong there. Seems like he
got a better deal than the price listed in the special brochure
Princess sent a few weeks ago.

I am not sure about the deposit though, as we had signed up on the Star
Princess last year for their future cruise program. By paying an $100 a
person I thought that would cover our deposit on this cruise and that
we would also get a $100 per person shipboard credit. Instead of that
my dad was told that he needed to pay more of a deposit. Will look the
confirmation to see what they have charged us for and then if need by
call and complain, as he may of gotten the information wrong.

Also wondering if there are any sites on the web that list actual
stateroom sizes, rather than the estaminets given by the cruise line.

Michael

Old March 5th, 2006, 03:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

I am not sure about the deposit though, as we had signed up on the Star
Princess last year for their future cruise program. By paying an $100 a
person I thought that would cover our deposit on this cruise and that
we would also get a $100 per person shipboard credit. Instead of that
my dad was told that he needed to pay more of a deposit. Will look the
confirmation to see what they have charged us for and then if need by
call and complain, as he may of gotten the information wrong.

I think the shipboard credit is $100 total for the stateroom. When you
booked, did you'r dad mention the future cruise contract and have it
applied to your booking? It doesn't cover the entire deposit if the
required deposit exceeds $200.

Old March 5th, 2006, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message

| Just wondering if anyone else has been given an upgrade at the time of
| booking. My dad made a reservation for room on the Coral Princess for
| April 18 of 2007. He requested any available AD stateroom and was told
| he could have that room or except a free upgrade. In any event he took
| the free upgrade. Did that as the location is not important and figured
| we would only get something better. Won't know which room we are in
| until we get ready to board, but I could be wrong there. Seems like he
| got a better deal than the price listed in the special brochure
| Princess sent a few weeks ago.

\

Princess usually asks if you're willing to accept an upgrade. This isn't a
guarantee of an upgrade. It just means that you aren't booking or locked
into a specific cabin. Even when you book a specific cabin and say yes to
accepting an upgrade, it just means you may not get the specific cabin you
want.

When I book a specific cabin, I always say no to an upgrade. Even if I were
upgraded from a balcony to a mini suite. I'd much rather have my aft facing
balcony.

I've only accepted an upgrade once with Princess. I was upgraded from an
obstructed view to a full view. A few months earlier I was in the
obstructed view cabin (no obstruction, just listed this way because the
promenade deck is a deck below and there's an overhang above) and was
upgraded about 7 categories. Sure it was completely unobstructed, but the
cabin was MUCH smaller than what I had before.

So an upgrade isn't always something great.

YMMV

LES!

Old March 5th, 2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I checked our account on the Princess Website and it shows $100 for my
dad and $100 for my mom. The deposit should have been covered, as we
paid then $200 while on the last cruise and that was supposed to cover
the deposit on a future cruise. Only thing I can think of is that does
not apply to the thrid person, so we had to pay a deposit for me. I
will contact Princess see if that is case.

Michael

Old March 5th, 2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 22:29:03 -0500, " Uncle Peter"
wrote:

I think the shipboard credit is $100 total for the stateroom. When you
booked, did you'r dad mention the future cruise contract and have it
applied to your booking? It doesn't cover the entire deposit if the
required deposit exceeds $200.

Hi Peter,

When you pay for a Future Cruise Credit onboard, your deposit is
covered for the 2 in the cabin. There is no need to pay any
additional deposit even if the usual deposit is more than $200 which
it most likely is. As you mentioned the TA must make sure that
Princess knows there is an FCC for the passenger. This should show up
in the Princess computer if the past passenger numbers match.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
news
$200.

Hi Peter,

When you pay for a Future Cruise Credit onboard, your deposit is
covered for the 2 in the cabin. There is no need to pay any
additional deposit even if the usual deposit is more than $200 which
it most likely is. Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Thanks Ray

We prepaid our entire trip on the Crown for December since the
agent included an additional cabin credit for doing so, we had a
Future Cruise Credit that we also applied.

Pete

Old March 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Joseph,

Surely you are aware that those cabins in question on the Spirit class are
handicap cabins, aren't you?

If you ask for one, the first question from the PVP is, "are you
handicapped?" If you aren't (and you have to prove it), they will book it
only with the clear understanding that they will kick you somewhere else if
it is needed for a hdcp pax.

Mark T

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...
wrote in news:1141528408.628969.180540
@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

Also wondering if there are any sites on the web that list actual
stateroom sizes, rather than the estaminets given by the cruise line.

There are few cabins that don't meet the standard sizing anymore. So the
"estimate" iss almost always accurate. the bigggest variation that I
have en****ered is balcony size. Careful scanning of the deck plans can
find balconies that are as much as twice as big within a given category.
(Hint look at Carnival Spirit or similar and note the balcony for the
cabins by the portside rear elevators. On the port side there are huge
long balconies to go outside of a linen closet. On the starboard side
the similar cabins have standard balconies. Likewsie some aft cabins (as
you often read here) have huge sweeping verandas tat truly are
magnificent.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old March 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"MarkT" wrote in

Joseph,

Surely you are aware that those cabins in question on the Spirit class
are handicap cabins, aren't you?

If you ask for one, the first question from the PVP is, "are you
handicapped?" If you aren't (and you have to prove it), they will
book it only with the clear understanding that they will kick you
somewhere else if it is needed for a hdcp pax.

Mark T

Actually I have had that cabin and yes on Carnival they are handicapped
but on the Costa Atlantica I had one that was not. And I was really
looking at a different point, that being that verandah sizes differ more
thatn cabin size and that the cabin on Atlantica while the same size
felt bigger because it was turned sideways.
--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations