'I made a mistake' – Ryanair's refund U-turn

Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
[email protected][_2_]

Default 'I made a mistake' – Ryanair's refund U-turn

Source: http://news.scotsman.com

ALASTAIR DALTON

RYANAIR'S normally uncompromising chief executive yesterday bowed to
political pressure by reversing the airline's decision not to fully
reimburse travellers stranded by the volcanic ash disruption.

Full Story

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/-3...e39.6248399.jp
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:56 AM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
William Black

wrote:
Source:
http://news.scotsman.com

ALASTAIR DALTON

RYANAIR'S normally uncompromising chief executive yesterday bowed to
political pressure by reversing the airline's decision not to fully
reimburse travellers stranded by the volcanic ash disruption.

Let us all know when Ryan Air actually pays someone rather than just
talking about it...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:17 PM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

wrote:
Source:
http://news.scotsman.com

ALASTAIR DALTON

RYANAIR'S normally uncompromising chief executive yesterday bowed to
political pressure by reversing the airline's decision not to fully
reimburse travellers stranded by the volcanic ash disruption.

Full Story

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/-3...e39.6248399.jp

It's interesting that the boss of a large airline doesn't know what his
legal obligations are.

I guess the loophole for Ryanair is that because the ticket price is
virtually nothing, they can refund virtually nothing and keep all the
service charges. But what is the legal situation of charging for a
service which you then don't provide?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM posted to alt.airports.uk.glasgow,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
Clive[_2_]

"Jim Mason" wrote in message
t...
In article , says...

It's interesting that the boss of a large airline doesn't know what his
legal obligations are.

Oh he knows all right but will be hell bent now on getting the law
changed.

Hey, welcome back Jim!

Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 13:17:49 on Fri, 23 Apr
2010, Tom P remarked:
I guess the loophole for Ryanair is that because the ticket price is
virtually nothing, they can refund virtually nothing and keep all the
service charges. But what is the legal situation of charging for a
service which you then don't provide?

That's a very interesting question. I'm assuming you get the full
"travel" amount you paid, back. But maybe the Credit Card surcharge part
is open for debate?
--
Roland Perry
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:56:24 +0100, William Black

Source: http://news.scotsman.com

RYANAIR'S normally uncompromising chief executive yesterday bowed to
political pressure by reversing the airline's decision not to fully
reimburse travellers stranded by the volcanic ash disruption.

Let us all know when Ryan Air actually pays someone rather than just
talking about it...

I'm more concerned about the many millions of flight taxes pocketed by
Ryanair for flights not taken. How on earth do they get away with
withholding money intended for the government in the first place?

Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:36:57 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

But what is the legal situation of charging for a
service which you then don't provide?

That's a very interesting question. I'm assuming you get the full
"travel" amount you paid, back. But maybe the Credit Card surcharge part
is open for debate?

Ryanair charge a fee equal to the amount you are claiming back?

Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
pete

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:17:49 +0200, Tom P wrote:
wrote:
Source:
http://news.scotsman.com

ALASTAIR DALTON

RYANAIR'S normally uncompromising chief executive yesterday bowed to
political pressure by reversing the airline's decision not to fully
reimburse travellers stranded by the volcanic ash disruption.

Full Story

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/-3...e39.6248399.jp

It's interesting that the boss of a large airline doesn't know what his
legal obligations are.

I guess the loophole for Ryanair is that because the ticket price is
virtually nothing, they can refund virtually nothing and keep all the
service charges. But what is the legal situation of charging for a
service which you then don't provide?

Oh they're doing much worse that simply not providing a service. They're
leaving their customers materially worse off. If they fly you somewhere
on the understanding that they will also fly you back, then don't, you're
left somewhere you no longer want to be and with a potentially large
bill just to get back to where you should be.
Imagine if a car-wash charged you 50p to wash your car (RyanAir prices!)
and then took it away to wash and never brought it back. You would NOT be
happy if they just said "sorrreeeee! here's your 50p back".
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
Bartc

wrote:
[...]

I always understood they sold only one-way tickets. (A return booking is
just two singles.)

Then they don't need to get anybody 'back', as they haven't gone anywhere
yet.

--
Bartc

Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM posted to alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air,rec.travel.europe
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 15:58:08 on Fri, 23 Apr
2010, bartc remarked:

I always understood they sold

[Ryanair]

only one-way tickets. (A return booking is just two singles.)

Then they don't need to get anybody 'back', as they haven't gone
anywhere yet.

I suppose this all comes down to where you were when the flight was
cancelled.

If you were at Stansted (on your outbound leg) then their current
attitude is that they'll refund that ticket and your expenses staying in
Stansted waiting for a replacement flight.

What I don't know is whether you can:

(a) change your mins later and say you want a refund rather than a
longer wait

(b) Get a refund for the ticket back, because you don't qualify under
the EU rules that appear to say you have to present yourself at the
airport in order to be refused boarding, before you can claim.

If you were overseas, you have the same decision about waiting at their
expense, or getting a refund (after which you are on your own).
--
Roland Perry