Tipping in USA/Canada

Old January 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Default Greg Procte Tipping in

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:
Craig Welch wrote:
Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:
Why won't you perform this basic search? Because you know your mythical
'two link' post isn't there?
Listen Fartface, I pasted _two_ urls and pressed "send". If you can't
read it's not my fault.
My, My. Such intemperate language. And you a self proclaimed
'counsellor'. Do you speak in such a way to your daughter?

Your two link post doesn't exist. If it did, you would have provided
evidence of same.

If you hadn't played silly buggers with the subject lines I would have
found it for you.

Other posters here have had no trouble finding extant posts.

Why is it just you, Greg?

Because you have played silly buggers with the subject lines.

One doesn't search in Google on subject lines, one searches on content.

I don't need to search by Google, I can step back through past sequences
of postings. You've messed that up by playing silly buggers with the
subject line. I posted it - you find it.

Or more usefully, one searches on one's own PC if one is the sender of
the non-existent post.

You ****ed up the subject lines deliberately - it's now become your
problem.

--
Craig http://www.wazu.jp/
1,239 Unicode fonts for 82 written language groups:

Old January 1st, 2008, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Default Greg Proct Tipping in U

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

You mean Visa and BNZ's Visa are seperate banking entities???
You don't find it strange that Visa hasn't sued the BNZ for stealing
it's trade name???

What is "BNZ's Visa"?

The BNZ has a Visa agency just like most other banks.

It has a Visa logo on it, which indicates that it will be accepted
world-wide by merchants who have so indicated. BNZ pays Visa a fee for
that privilege.
So you're saying Visa would be the agent of the BNZ in that situation
and BNZ pays Visa a fee???
No, I'm saying that BNZ pays Visa a licensing fee.

So, let's see:
BNZ uses Visa's name and system for a licencing fee!
So I could pay you a fee and use your name for any purpose I see fit,
nefarious or otherwise.
Where do I send the cheque????

Mis-direction ...

When you shop at a merchant with that card, you enter into a contract
with that merchant. Not with Visa.
Absolutely.
But in addition the merchant activates a contract with Visa. (not BNZ)
There is *no* contract between the merchant and Visa.

So why does the contract have "Visa" written throughout???

Because it has to do with the acceptance of Visa branded cards. But why
don't you read who the *parties* to the contract are?

It's rather more than the "Visa" brand on the card!

The transaction is entered into a terminal that is owned by the
merchant's bank. Not by Visa. By his bank.
The bank is the agent for Visa. - therefore the transaction is with
Visa.
Is this all to complicated for you?
The merchant has no contract with Visa.

OK, so the merchant sends his payment to Visa without any form of
contract - you must have a lot of gullible merchants where you live!

The merchant doesn't send money to Visa.

True, the merchant's customer sends advice to make payment from their
Visa account to the merchant's bank.

The merchant sells the transaction to his bank.
No, the merchant sells the transaction to Visa. (do try to keep up)
No he doesn't, Greg. The merchant has no contract with Visa.

OK, so the merchant sends his payment to Visa without any form of
contract - you must have a lot of gullible merchants where you live!

Merchants don't send payments to Visa.

So exactly to whose bank does the merchant send the customer's payment
advice???

You claim to be a Visa merchant. Why don't you read your contract?

Let's say it's HKBC. He
does not sell it to Visa.
Yes he does.
You claim to be a Visa merchant. Why don't you read your contract?

No, I claimed that I was in the past a merchant with a Visa payment
contract.

Liar. On 3 December you said:

CW: You've stated that you accept credit cards.
CW: Might I ask with which credit card company you have a signed
CW: agreement?
GP: Visa.(NZ)

Sure, I get feed up with correcting your lapses of grammar and let those
that seem irrelevant slip through - otherwise I'd be cortrecting every
post you make instead of answering your points.

snip
GP: My credit card and my POS machine are from different organisations.

That holds true.

You're just making it up again, aren't you Greg?

The transaction has been 'acquired' by HKBC.
HKBC is an agent of Visa in that transaction.
No it's no, Greg.

So nobody is an agent of Visa? All the banks send them money for fun?

I carefully described the payment flow for you Greg. Which part did you
not understand?

Craig, you're a ****wit if you think you described the payment flow
correctly.

He has a contract with HKBC that says they will acquire his transactions.
That's possibly true. Visa's Agent, HKBC passes the transaction to the
merchant's bank, that presumably being HKBC.
Eh? Now you're really getting confused.

Not at all - however I can see that you are.
Do you imagine that HKBC putts all the money it gets into one big piggy
bank and then doles it out if anyone asks nicely?

No. Why would I think that? I carefully described the payment flow for
you Greg. Which part did you not understand?

I understand what you sead in it's entirety - you've failed to
understand the process.

HKBC submit the transaction for 'interchange' to Visa. This function
gets the transaction to your bank, BNZ. Visa, once a day, works out the
nett positions of each of its member banks, and settles each bank's
position (which could be credit or debit). But Visa isn't a bank, so it
does this by way of instructions to a holding bank (Citi in the US, but
other banks in different regions), which has an account for each of the
other banks.

Now, your bank has the transaction. It bills you. You pay your bank.

The cycle is complete.
Never mind, you don't need to understand.
What part of my explanation is not clear to you Greg?

The bit where you stupidly imagine that the associated banks aren't
agents for Visa.

I think I'll give up on this one.

You gave up on trying to understand ages ago.

It's like talking to a child. I've
gone to some lengths to fully describe the payment cycle. Something
you've never understood. And something that, from the look of it, you
never will.

Your understanding of the processes is quite flawed.
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

Default Greg Proc Tipping in US

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:58:14 +1300, Greg Procter
wrote:

:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 04:57:26 GMT, Larry in AZ
: wrote:
:
: :Waiving the right to remain silent, Sarah Czepiel
: :said:
: :
: : On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:42:21 +1300, Greg Procter
: : wrote:
: :
: ::Hatunen wrote:
: ::
: :: On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:22:04 +1300, Greg Procter
: :: wrote:
: ::
: :: "Mr. Travel" wrote:
: ::
: :: All you had to do was admit you made an error and assumed he was
: :: American and in the US, of course forgetting Americans can't buy
: :: cigars from Cuba.
: ::
: :: Yes, I'll admit I assumed he was a yank. No problem.
: :: You don't have the freedom to buy from source???
: ::
: :: Americans are not permitted legally to buy anything from Cuba, nor to
: :: import them.
: ::
: ::
: ::Larry and Sarah disagree with you.
: :
: : Why lie Greg? What have I ever said Americans can buy from Cuba?
: : 1950's Buick bumpers?
: :
: :I didn't say that either. Groggy - caught in a nasty web of lies...
:
: It's inevitable. Lies are all he tells. The rec.travel.air folks
: have exposed him for being a fraud in his model train collecting.
: Why would anyone lie about a buncha model trains??
:
:
:You yanks are so used to your own lies you assume everyone else also
:lies - that's not reality in the big wide world.

No assumption when it comes to you, Greg.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Mr. Travel

Default Greg Pro Tipping in US

Greg Procter wrote:

Why would I argue with someone who is confirming what _I_ already said -
that's _your_ practice, Craig.

Uh, no. You commented on US citizen's.
My comment included other non-citizens that are affected.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Mr. Travel

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Why won't you perform this basic search? Because you know your
mythical
'two link' post isn't there?

Listen Fartface, I pasted _two_ urls and pressed "send". If you can't
read it's not my fault.

My, My. Such intemperate language. And you a self proclaimed
'counsellor'. Do you speak in such a way to your daughter?

Your two link post doesn't exist. If it did, you would have provided
evidence of same.

If you hadn't played silly buggers with the subject lines I would have
found it for you.

Other posters here have had no trouble finding extant posts.

Why is it just you, Greg?

One doesn't search in Google on subject lines, one searches on content.

That's why his posts weren't found, no content.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Mr. Travel

Default Greg Procter T Tipping

Craig Welch wrote:

Mr. Travel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

I know you don't care - the other fellow is adding this group and I
overlooked deleting a couple of times - my apologies.

Greg.P.

It was a bit foolish, considering they are model train groups and we
have no reason to expect you to know anything about model trains. You
stated expertise in normal railroads, but seem to not undertand the
"standard" gauge used in NZ is NOT the "standard gauge" recognized
worldwide, and not just by the CIA World FactBook

Perhaps Greg thinks that standard gauge is HO.

HO HO
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Mr. Travel

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Mr. Travel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

I know you don't care - the other fellow is adding this group and I
overlooked deleting a couple of times - my apologies.

Greg.P.

It was a bit foolish, considering they are model train groups and we
have no reason to expect you to know anything about model trains. You
stated expertise in normal railroads, but seem to not undertand the
"standard" gauge used in NZ is NOT the "standard gauge" recognized
worldwide, and not just by the CIA World FactBook

Perhaps Greg thinks that standard gauge is HO.

"Standard Gauge" is 4' 8 1/2" or 1435mm.

Why did you claim it NZ used standard gauge and the CIA Factbook lied?
You know damn well NZ's tracks are narrower.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Mr. Travel

Default Greg Procter Th Tippin

Greg Procter wrote:

You're claiming that yanks _can_ spend funds from the USa in Cuba???

The part of the legislation I read was quite specific on that point,
yanks may not spend funds from the USa in Cuba..

WRONG again.
IF you don't understand, go directly to the OFAC website and read the
information.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Mr. Travel

Default Greg Procter Thre Tipp

Greg Procter wrote:

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Oh, I figured all that out, but if you want to tell me anything you
should actually tell me.

I was commenting on a USDA link. It is NOT up to me to explain who or
what USDA is.

If you want to tell me something to back your point of view then it is
definitely up to you to put forward a meaningful argument.
You want to tell me about USDA so you tell me what USDA is. - see how
that works?

A source was cited.
It is not up to me to explain the full details of what they do or who
they are. If you don't know, look it up. I doubt you even went to the
damn link.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Mr. Travel

Default Greg Procter Tipping i

Greg Procter wrote:

Mr. Travel, my point is that the New Zealand railway system (like South
Africa's) is not normally classed as "Narrow Gauge" because that term
has connotations that go well beyond the distance between the rails.

Uh, no. In standard railway terms, gauge is the width of the track.