Tipping in USA/Canada

Old January 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Default Greg Procter Thread

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

A small lesson in the english language:
- If you wish to indicate an abreviation you write it in a form like
'o.f.a.c.' The full stops indicate abreviations.

Why then do you refer to New Zealand as NZ instead of n.z.?

The rules don't apply to him.
He can ask us for a cite, but never provide one.

He can ask us for proof, but he makes statements and never responds to
request for specific things, like the "absolute" statement in "The Act"
that says US citizens are forbidden to buy anything from Cuba.

The "Act", or an extract from it, has already been posted on antu in
recent weeks.
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

But again I ask (as your answer had nothing to do with the subject),
given that you know nothing about me, on what basis can you claim to
have read more legislation that I?

On the basis that you continually make unfounded conclusions about me.

Which is of course no basis at all.

The only basis on which you could make that call would be that you knew
enough about me to make a reasonable assessment of how much legislation
I had read.

As you don't, you can't.

That's ok Craig, you've done the same sort of thing in regard to me,
numerous times. You're a prick -

That's logical. If you can't beat him with facts, call him a name.

Craig uses underhand tricks in attempts to gain advantage!
- he alters the subject line every post to ... - well, he refuses to
say why he does that.
- he posts these messages to other newsgroups he knows I frequent -
presumably to create unpopularity for me elsewhere.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

What would I care about your "Green Cards"???
I didn't bring "Green Cards" into the discussion, but I was asked my
opinion about them in regards to our discussion.

We were talking about the law regarding buying stuff from Cuba.
In that discussion, green card holder/permanent resident/resident alien
would be relevant.

Only if the hopeful buyer is a green card holder/permanent
resident/resident alien of the USa..
Given that Craig is presumably resident in Singapore, all those options
can almost certainly be discounted as applying to him.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Default Greg Procter Threa Tip

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

It was a comment relating to the lower cost of buying goods from their
source.

Would it be cheaper for me to order a quart of oil from Saudi Arabia and
have them mail it to me, or would I be better off buying it from K-Mart
down the street?

How much is a quart?

How very disingenuous of you Greg.

You know full well what a quart is, as quart was a measure of volume in
*New Zealand* until 1969.

Well, no it wasn't.
We had gallons, pints and fluid ounces. Our gallons were (from 1969
memory) 1.25 times yours.
We had eight pints to the gallon.
We had twenty fluid ounces to the pint.
One gallon of distilled water weighted 10 lbs.

Archaically:
4 gills = 1 pint.
2 pints = 1 quart.
2 gallons = 1 peck.
4 pecks = 1 bushel.
8 bushels = 1 quarter.
5 quarters = 1 load.
36 bushels = 1 chaldron.

At school we learned none of those archaic measures.

However as you can probably guess, I have sufficient knowledge to guess
that a "quart" is 160 fluid ounces / 4 or 40 fluid ounces. I have an
idea that the US gallon has 128 fluid ounces, but of course the imperial
and yank fluid ounces are not equal. Can you tell me the number of
imperial gills in a US quart?

So, assume I meant quarter of YOUR gallons.

I presumed you meant _your_ gallons/quarts.

Would it really matter relevant to the question?
Does it matter if it were an imperial quart or a yank quart?

Well, K-mart wasn't active in New Zealand pre-1970. I would guess, based
on the fact that a K-mart opened about 2km from my then home around
1993-4 that they started in NZ about 1991-2. At that time they could not
have sold "quarts" of oil. As to what is "relevant", you've consistantly
come out of 'left-field' or 'cloud-cuckoo-land' with what you consider
to be relevant, so I need to cover all the bases. At this stage, based
on your past efforts I fully expect you to start an argument about the
number of carats I claim to be in a chaldron!
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

A small lesson in the english language:
- If you wish to indicate an abreviation you write it in a form like
'o.f.a.c.' The full stops indicate abreviations.

Why then do you refer to New Zealand as NZ instead of n.z.?

It's a name and therefore gets capital letters.

You often write it without capital letters.

I'm lazy.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Mr. Travel wrote:
Greg Procter wrote:

No, the law cannot apply _in_ other countries.

If the action is committed in another country, the law could still
apply. The action taken against the violator would probably wait until
they are back in the US, but the law APPLIES for the offense committed
in the other country. Maybe your dictionary doesn't have this word?

The best example is Taxation Law ... the IRS extends its reach to 'us
yanks' the world over, does it not?

I'm a New Zealander living in New Zealand - why would I know what the US
tax department does???
In New Zealand the NZIRS only concerns itself with wages or salaries
earned while the individual is resident in NZ.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

I'm just trying to understand your bile directed towards the USA.

Ahh, I see!
I frequent this ng (antu) in an attempt to understand the US's bile,
violence and terrorist actions against the rest of the world.

You're not posting into any 'this' newsgroup, Greg. You're posting into
*two* newsgroups.

Did you not know that?

Sure - you obviously feel the need to direct my postings to
rec.travel.air but I don't download that ng. As such I don't see the
yank reactions to my postings there.

You really don't understand this Usenet thing, do you Greg.

*YOU* are posting to two newsgroups. *YOU* are sending posts out into
the ether with the following header:

Newsgroups: rec.travel.air, alt.nuke.the.usa

When GREG replies to such postings, GREG is also posting to two newsgroups.

Doesn't GREG not understand this? Apparently not, because he thinks
Craigs is reposting his stuff to rta

Don't talk rubbish.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

But again I ask (as your answer had nothing to do with the subject),
given that you know nothing about me, on what basis can you claim to
have read more legislation that I?

On the basis that you continually make unfounded conclusions about me.

Which is of course no basis at all.

The only basis on which you could make that call would be that you knew
enough about me to make a reasonable assessment of how much legislation
I had read.

As you don't, you can't.

That's ok Craig, you've done the same sort of thing in regard to me,
numerous times. You're a prick - I just thought I try it to see what
it's like. It doesn't do anything for me even if it makes you cream your
nappies.

Huh?

Again I ask (as your answer had nothing to do with the subject), given
that you know nothing about me, on what basis can you claim to have read
more legislation that I?

On the basis that you don't know that an Act stands on it's own.

You have failed to point out the Act you have been referring to.

The restrictions on Cuba involves multiple things, not a single Act.

None of those "multiple things" can take away from the Act. They can
only add further restrictions.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

"Imperial quart bottles".
The US uses "US quarts".

They are not the same measurement by a wide margin.

The US quart is 32 ounces
I believe the Imperial quart would be 40, since I think you said 20 oz
made a pint.

It was 1969!!! - I haven't had any use or connection with a "gallon"
since.
sheesh

So, how would this changed the context original question, which was
basically if I bought insert small quanity of a product, would it
always be better to buy it from the source?

I used "quart" as an example.
Surely you knew it meant a quarter of a gallon.

A "Quarter" was 8 "Bushels", or 32 "Pecks", or 64 "gallons".

If I said "liter", would you have been less obnoxious?

That would certainly have simplified the discussion - assuming the US
Liter isn't a short measure of the ISO Liter.
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

I'm just trying to understand your bile directed towards the USA.

Ahh, I see!
I frequent this ng (antu) in an attempt to understand the US's bile,
violence and terrorist actions against the rest of the world.

You're not posting into any 'this' newsgroup, Greg. You're posting into
*two* newsgroups.

Did you not know that?

Sure - you obviously feel the need to direct my postings to
rec.travel.air but I don't download that ng. As such I don't see the
yank reactions to my postings there.

You really don't understand this Usenet thing, do you Greg.

*YOU* are posting to two newsgroups. *YOU* are sending posts out into
the ether with the following header:

Certainly I am knowingly posting to two newsgroups - the second purely
out of respect to you.

You KNOW this, but made the statement, you quoted above, about
"As such I don't see the yank reactions to my postings there."

Our reactions are being sent to both groups, why would you not see the
reaction?

You and Craig are the only yanks on rec.travel.air???