US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

Old June 17th, 2014, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

Jack Campin wrote:
Erilar wrote:
I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow an
ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure out, much
less book transport possibilities.

I told you about this one last time you made that complaint:

http://traveline.info/

Did you even look at it?

I think I did. It doesn't cure Heathrow, however.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:27:15 +0200, Martin wrote:

I think you need a car if you want to visit castles and or abbeys in Yorkshire.

In North Yorkshire you can do it by bus as, with a couple of
exceptions, they lie more or less in a line along the A170, but it
would be quite hard work.
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

I think you need a car if you want to visit castles and or abbeys
in Yorkshire.

In North Yorkshire you can do it by bus as, with a couple of
exceptions, they lie more or less in a line along the A170,
but it would be quite hard work.

The only castles in Yorkshire I've been to are Pickering, which is
on the North York Moors Railway, and Scarborough, which you can get
to by bus or train. And I've been to Whitby Abbey, which is also
accessible by bus or train.

Pickering is Yorkshire's most historically important castle and Whitby
is its most important abbey, so I kinda feel I've "done" Yorkshire in
that department.

Old June 18th, 2014, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:15:02 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:40:32 +0100, Jack Campin wrote:

I think you need a car if you want to visit castles and or abbeys
in Yorkshire.
In North Yorkshire you can do it by bus as, with a couple of
exceptions, they lie more or less in a line along the A170,
but it would be quite hard work.

The only castles in Yorkshire I've been to are Pickering, which is
on the North York Moors Railway, and Scarborough, which you can get
to by bus or train. And I've been to Whitby Abbey, which is also
accessible by bus or train.

Pickering is Yorkshire's most historically important castle and Whitby
is its most important abbey, so I kinda feel I've "done" Yorkshire in
that department.

I-Spy Ruins Book? :-)

IMO the most impressive Yorkshire abbeys are Rievaulx Abbey and Fountains Abbey.
Pickering Castle is worth a visit, but so are others like Helmsley. In York you
have an abbey, the Minster, lots of medieval churches, the city walls and bars,
remains of Roman tower, a Norman castle/tower, a castle mound, and a zillion
tourist rip off shops, cafe's and restaurants, all within walking distance of
the station.

Scarborough Castle is probably the most historically (and
architecturally) significant North Yorkshire castle.
Old June 18th, 2014, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote:

[...]

you don't think that this might win on both criteria)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...gland1_144.jpg

tim

Old June 18th, 2014, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:22:00 +0200, "tim....."
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Excepting the obvious, in what way exactly is that a castle?

Old June 18th, 2014, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

"tim....." wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

..

Scarborough Castle is probably the most historically (and
architecturally) significant North Yorkshire castle.

you don't think that this might win on both criteria)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...gland1_144.jpg

tim

That's not a castle! Palace, apparently.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 18th, 2014, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:

IMO the most impressive Yorkshire abbeys are Rievaulx Abbey and Fountains Abbey.
Pickering Castle is worth a visit, but so are others like Helmsley. In York you
have an abbey, the Minster, lots of medieval churches, the city walls and bars,
remains of Roman tower, a Norman castle/tower, a castle mound, and a zillion
tourist rip off shops, cafe's and restaurants, all within walking distance of
the station.

I didn't see the abbeys, but I did get to explore York a bit. It was one
of the points of that particular trip. I could still walk extensively back
then; i hadn't hit 75 yet. 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 18th, 2014, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Jack Campin wrote:
I think you need a car if you want to visit castles and or abbeys
in Yorkshire.

In North Yorkshire you can do it by bus as, with a couple of
exceptions, they lie more or less in a line along the A170,
but it would be quite hard work.

The only castles in Yorkshire I've been to are Pickering, which is
on the North York Moors Railway, and Scarborough, which you can get
to by bus or train. And I've been to Whitby Abbey, which is also
accessible by bus or train.

Pickering is Yorkshire's most historically important castle and Whitby
is its most important abbey, so I kinda feel I've "done" Yorkshire in
that department.

Bill introduced me to Pickering. Lovely motte and bailey! 8-)

Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 18th, 2014, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:32:32 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Jack Campin wrote:
Erilar wrote:
I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow an
ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure out, much
less book transport possibilities.

I told you about this one last time you made that complaint:

http://traveline.info/

Did you even look at it?

I think I did. It doesn't cure Heathrow, however.

Are you going to tell us exactly what happened to you at Heathrow? I've used
all the London Airports, except Luton, Stansted and Southend, many times,
without ever having had a problem.

It's exhausting and apparently has no water fountains, just machines
requiring English coins, at least once I was well past security and trying
to find my gate---- which was not assigned until I barely had time to find
it.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad