Plug converter and voltage - Australia to Asia

Old June 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Bobbie Weeks (Ms)

Default Plug converter and voltage - Australia to Asia

I live in Australia and will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia,
Thailand and Malaysia later this year. I've checked out getting a
plug converter, so I can plug my Australia appliances (like phone
charger, laptop, hairdryer, etc) in while I'm away. I've found out
the plug types that I need to get but I'm wondering if there would be
an issue with the slight (well, I assume slight) variation in voltage
(all countries have the same frequency). I've listed out below what
I've found but can anyone advise me if the different voltages will
make a difference or, worse yet, damage my things as it seems that
plug converters don't change the voltage:

Australia, Plug Type I, 240V
Cambodia, Plug Type A & E, 230V
Malaysia, Plug Type G, 240V
Thailand, Plug Type A & E, 220V
Vietnam, Plug Type A & C & G, 220V

Old June 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

"Bobbie Weeks (Ms)" wrote in
:

I live in Australia and will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia,
Thailand and Malaysia later this year. I've checked out getting a
plug converter, so I can plug my Australia appliances (like phone
charger, laptop, hairdryer, etc) in while I'm away. I've found out
the plug types that I need to get but I'm wondering if there would be
an issue with the slight (well, I assume slight) variation in voltage
(all countries have the same frequency). I've listed out below what
I've found but can anyone advise me if the different voltages will
make a difference or, worse yet, damage my things as it seems that
plug converters don't change the voltage:

Australia, Plug Type I, 240V
Cambodia, Plug Type A & E, 230V
Malaysia, Plug Type G, 240V
Thailand, Plug Type A & E, 220V
Vietnam, Plug Type A & C & G, 220V

Greetings from the other sunshine state! You should have no problem,
look at your devices and they will likely give a range of acceptable
voltage as long as you are in those parameters you are good to go.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:12:39 -0700 (PDT), "Bobbie Weeks
(Ms)" wrote:

I live in Australia and will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia,
Thailand and Malaysia later this year. I've checked out getting a
plug converter, so I can plug my Australia appliances (like phone
charger, laptop, hairdryer, etc) in while I'm away. I've found out
the plug types that I need to get but I'm wondering if there would be
an issue with the slight (well, I assume slight) variation in voltage
(all countries have the same frequency). I've listed out below what
I've found but can anyone advise me if the different voltages will
make a difference or, worse yet, damage my things as it seems that
plug converters don't change the voltage:

Australia, Plug Type I, 240V
Cambodia, Plug Type A & E, 230V
Malaysia, Plug Type G, 240V
Thailand, Plug Type A & E, 220V
Vietnam, Plug Type A & C & G, 220V

I travelled through Cambodia and Thailand in March (see the
blog). I had no problems charging my phone, shaver and
camera. However, all of those were charged via their own
AC/DC converters which automatically allow for frequency
variations and even 115/230 variations.

It's likely your laptop and phone will be similar and the
hairdryer is unlikely to be that sensitive.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
rak

I have lived and travelled expensively in SE Asia and Australia and
Europe for many years, carrying laptops, cameras, phones, etc. and
never had a voltage problem with portable equipment such as you
mention.

The actual voltage may not be what it says anyway, and typically is
often lower, especially in countries with power shortages where they
often lower the voltage rather than cut the power. I think they are
not supposed to go more than about 10% down (or up) on voltage and
less than that on frequency but sometimes they do. I have also run
mainframe computers in some SE Asia countries and they are more fussy,
so we had power conditioning equipment, but laptops and other items
with power adaptors are generally very forgiving.

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 02:35:18 -0700 (PDT), rak
wrote:

I have lived and travelled expensively in SE Asia and Australia and
Europe for many years,

I wish I could afford to do that. I usually travel quite
cheaply.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
nick chan

hi , like joseph said, u don't need a voltage converter
just a universal plug type converter
electrical appliances are made for

1) 110v
2) 220-240v (mostly asia and europe)
3) 130v (japan)

so your stuff is certainly workable from 220-240 range.

Old June 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
rak

wrote:
I have lived and travelled expensively in SE Asia and Australia and
Europe for many years,

I wish I could afford to do that. I usually travel quite
cheaply.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Rats. Extensively!!! I was typing with a broken finger if that is an
excuse.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate[_2_]

Nah, Nick!! Hate to be pedantic, but many people read these posts and plan
etc accordingly!

In fact! Most (ALL in my experience) small appliances - shavers, laptops,
radios, ipods, mobile phones, cameras etc cheerfully accept all voltages
from 100v to 250v; they're designed to do so.

Check the plug - it will ALWAYS have the voltage or voltage range
acceptable. It IS a small world!

Old June 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

wrote:
I have lived and travelled expensively in SE Asia and Australia and
Europe for many years,

I wish I could afford to do that. I usually travel quite
cheaply.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Rats. Extensively!!! I was typing with a broken finger if that is an
excuse.

No excuses allowed. Enjoyed it:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Miguel Cruz[_2_]

"Bobbie Weeks (Ms)" wrote:
I live in Australia and will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia,
Thailand and Malaysia later this year. I've checked out getting a
plug converter, so I can plug my Australia appliances (like phone
charger, laptop, hairdryer, etc) in while I'm away. I've found out
the plug types that I need to get but I'm wondering if there would be
an issue with the slight (well, I assume slight) variation in voltage
(all countries have the same frequency). I've listed out below what
I've found but can anyone advise me if the different voltages will
make a difference or, worse yet, damage my things as it seems that
plug converters don't change the voltage:

Australia, Plug Type I, 240V
Cambodia, Plug Type A & E, 230V
Malaysia, Plug Type G, 240V
Thailand, Plug Type A & E, 220V
Vietnam, Plug Type A & C & G, 220V

No problems with voltage.

Also, you can get cheaper and better converters after you arrive than
you can find in Australia. I heartily recommend getting the small
individual converters with no moving parts, rather than the giant
one-size-fits-all gimmicky ones that always fall apart and start
sparking a few weeks into your trip.

--
Photos from all 45 countries on 5 continents:
http://www.cultureshocktherapy.com