No laser pointers through security?

Old September 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

Default No laser pointers through security?

To my surprise, the green laser pointer in my computer bag was
absolutely rejected by the security checkpoint at the Dublin (Ireland)
airport about 5:30 am this past Tuesday morning. I've been through
dozens of security screenings with it in the past, at multiple other
places around the world, with no problem.

Offered to remove the batteries and leave 'em behind; pushed the issue
up to getting a supervisor over. No give on their part: "Sorry, sir, no
lasers on planes." Had to go back out and pay an additional $15 to
check my computer bag (keeping my laptop with me in a separate
briefcase).

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Sep 12, 9:39*am, AES wrote:
To my surprise, the green laser pointer in my computer bag was
absolutely rejected by the security checkpoint at the Dublin (Ireland)
airport about 5:30 am this past Tuesday morning. *I've been through
dozens of security screenings with it in the past, at multiple other
places around the world, with no problem.

Offered to remove the batteries and leave 'em behind; pushed the issue
up to getting a supervisor over. *No give on their part: "Sorry, sir, no
lasers on planes." *Had to go back out and pay an additional $15 to
check my computer bag (keeping my laptop with me in a separate
briefcase).

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?

They have knowlingly let me keep my laser pointer in both the US and
the EU. However, in 2002, the lady at the last security check in CDG
took the batteries.

The last time I read the TSA rules, they claim absolute discretion,
and they declare that the TSA has the right to deny boarding with
things even when they are explicitly on the allowed list. I think
your agent was exercising similar discretion, and backed up by the
supervisor only to "save face". Remeber, "Kip Hawley is an idiot!"
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:39:52 +0100, AES wrote:

To my surprise, the green laser pointer in my computer bag was
absolutely rejected by the security checkpoint at the Dublin (Ireland)
airport about 5:30 am this past Tuesday morning. I've been through
dozens of security screenings with it in the past, at multiple other
places around the world, with no problem.

Offered to remove the batteries and leave 'em behind; pushed the issue
up to getting a supervisor over. No give on their part: "Sorry, sir, no
lasers on planes." Had to go back out and pay an additional $15 to
check my computer bag (keeping my laptop with me in a separate
briefcase).

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?

If not, it should be. Keeping any potential dangerous
items out of the cabuin is good thinking. A harmless looking
lecture aide tool could easily have been modified to
pack a blinding laser beam capable of knocking out the
crew.

Old September 13th, 2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

In AES
wrote:

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?

In the US you need to keep this in mind:

To ensure traveler's security, transportation security
officers (TSOs) may determine that an item not on the
prohibited items chart is prohibited. In addition, the TSO
may also determine that an item on the permitted chart is
dangerous and therefore may not be brought through the
security checkpoint.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Prohib...ly_3-16-07.pdf

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

In Irwell
wrote:

Keeping any potential dangerous items out of the cabuin is good
thinking.

That would mean no one and nothing can be brought on board.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

http://www.google.ca/search?q=DVD+Laser+Flashlight+Hack

Old September 13th, 2008, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Irwell wrote:
[...]

Why not remove bottles and glasaware from aircraft.
Even an aluminum can can make a handy weapon.

Please....... laser pointers.
Next they'll be taking shoelaces so nobody gets garrotted
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Irwell writes:

If not, it should be. Keeping any potential dangerous
items out of the cabuin is good thinking. A harmless looking
lecture aide tool could easily have been modified to
pack a blinding laser beam capable of knocking out the
crew.

How?

By increasing the number of batteries in it from 2 to 826.

It's similar to why you can have 3 ounce bottles, but not 4 ounce bottles.
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

DevilsPGD writes:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=DVD+Laser+Flashlight+Hack

That's a modification of a flashlight, not a laser pointer.

And why would that make any difference for an _unmodified_ laser pointer?

And before you say that all laser pointers are dangerous, how do you know that
what looks like an ordinary flashlight isn't a specially modified,
high-powered laser?

Furthermore, how would this mega hand laser be used to incapacitate the crew,
particularly the pilots?