A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travelling Style » Air travel
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

No laser pointers through security?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 186
Default No laser pointers through security?

To my surprise, the green laser pointer in my computer bag was
absolutely rejected by the security checkpoint at the Dublin (Ireland)
airport about 5:30 am this past Tuesday morning. I've been through
dozens of security screenings with it in the past, at multiple other
places around the world, with no problem.

Offered to remove the batteries and leave 'em behind; pushed the issue
up to getting a supervisor over. No give on their part: "Sorry, sir, no
lasers on planes." Had to go back out and pay an additional $15 to
check my computer bag (keeping my laptop with me in a separate
briefcase).

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?
  #2  
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 253
Default No laser pointers through security?

On Sep 12, 9:39*am, AES wrote:
To my surprise, the green laser pointer in my computer bag was
absolutely rejected by the security checkpoint at the Dublin (Ireland)
airport about 5:30 am this past Tuesday morning. *I've been through
dozens of security screenings with it in the past, at multiple other
places around the world, with no problem.

Offered to remove the batteries and leave 'em behind; pushed the issue
up to getting a supervisor over. *No give on their part: "Sorry, sir, no
lasers on planes." *Had to go back out and pay an additional $15 to
check my computer bag (keeping my laptop with me in a separate
briefcase).

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?

They have knowlingly let me keep my laser pointer in both the US and
the EU. However, in 2002, the lady at the last security check in CDG
took the batteries.

The last time I read the TSA rules, they claim absolute discretion,
and they declare that the TSA has the right to deny boarding with
things even when they are explicitly on the allowed list. I think
your agent was exercising similar discretion, and backed up by the
supervisor only to "save face". Remeber, "Kip Hawley is an idiot!"
  #3  
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 758
Default No laser pointers through security?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:39:52 +0100, AES wrote:

To my surprise, the green laser pointer in my computer bag was
absolutely rejected by the security checkpoint at the Dublin (Ireland)
airport about 5:30 am this past Tuesday morning. I've been through
dozens of security screenings with it in the past, at multiple other
places around the world, with no problem.

Offered to remove the batteries and leave 'em behind; pushed the issue
up to getting a supervisor over. No give on their part: "Sorry, sir, no
lasers on planes." Had to go back out and pay an additional $15 to
check my computer bag (keeping my laptop with me in a separate
briefcase).

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?


If not, it should be. Keeping any potential dangerous
items out of the cabuin is good thinking. A harmless looking
lecture aide tool could easily have been modified to
pack a blinding laser beam capable of knocking out the
crew.
  #4  
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,830
Default No laser pointers through security?

Irwell writes:

If not, it should be. Keeping any potential dangerous
items out of the cabuin is good thinking. A harmless looking
lecture aide tool could easily have been modified to
pack a blinding laser beam capable of knocking out the
crew.


How?
  #5  
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 724
Default No laser pointers through security?

In AES
wrote:

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?


In the US you need to keep this in mind:

To ensure traveler's security, transportation security
officers (TSOs) may determine that an item not on the
prohibited items chart is prohibited. In addition, the TSO
may also determine that an item on the permitted chart is
dangerous and therefore may not be brought through the
security checkpoint.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Prohib...ly_3-16-07.pdf

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
  #6  
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 724
Default No laser pointers through security?

In Irwell
wrote:

Keeping any potential dangerous items out of the cabuin is good
thinking.


That would mean no one and nothing can be brought on board.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
  #7  
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 904
Default No laser pointers through security?

In message Mxsmanic
wrote:

Irwell writes:

If not, it should be. Keeping any potential dangerous
items out of the cabuin is good thinking. A harmless looking
lecture aide tool could easily have been modified to
pack a blinding laser beam capable of knocking out the
crew.


How?


http://www.google.ca/search?q=DVD+Laser+Flashlight+Hack


  #8  
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 458
Default No laser pointers through security?

Irwell wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:39:52 +0100, AES wrote:


To my surprise, the green laser pointer in my computer bag was
absolutely rejected by the security checkpoint at the Dublin (Ireland)
airport about 5:30 am this past Tuesday morning. I've been through
dozens of security screenings with it in the past, at multiple other
places around the world, with no problem.

Offered to remove the batteries and leave 'em behind; pushed the issue
up to getting a supervisor over. No give on their part: "Sorry, sir, no
lasers on planes." Had to go back out and pay an additional $15 to
check my computer bag (keeping my laptop with me in a separate
briefcase).

Is this in fact in the rules, in the U.S. or the EU?



If not, it should be. Keeping any potential dangerous
items out of the cabuin is good thinking. A harmless looking
lecture aide tool could easily have been modified to
pack a blinding laser beam capable of knocking out the
crew.


Why not remove bottles and glasaware from aircraft.
Even an aluminum can can make a handy weapon.

Please....... laser pointers.
Next they'll be taking shoelaces so nobody gets garrotted
  #9  
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 458
Default No laser pointers through security?

Mxsmanic wrote:
Irwell writes:


If not, it should be. Keeping any potential dangerous
items out of the cabuin is good thinking. A harmless looking
lecture aide tool could easily have been modified to
pack a blinding laser beam capable of knocking out the
crew.



How?




By increasing the number of batteries in it from 2 to 826.

It's similar to why you can have 3 ounce bottles, but not 4 ounce bottles.
  #10  
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,830
Default No laser pointers through security?

DevilsPGD writes:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=DVD+Laser+Flashlight+Hack


That's a modification of a flashlight, not a laser pointer.

And why would that make any difference for an _unmodified_ laser pointer?

And before you say that all laser pointers are dangerous, how do you know that
what looks like an ordinary flashlight isn't a specially modified,
high-powered laser?

Furthermore, how would this mega hand laser be used to incapacitate the crew,
particularly the pilots?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving in Brazil-tips, pointers? blue box thief Latin America 1 January 16th, 2008 08:01 PM
Last minute pointers please cdet Cruises 9 November 27th, 2006 09:08 PM
America travel pointers ROD USA & Canada 102 August 24th, 2006 04:06 PM
In need some advice and pointers........ tours in Hong Kong, possible http://airside.platinums.co.uk Air travel 0 August 20th, 2006 11:00 AM
Tax info chart by state / city - any pointers? - Bobb - USA & Canada 5 December 6th, 2005 02:57 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 TravelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.