Starbucks in Austria. "It is just too American for me," she said.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:14 PM
viking

Default Starbucks in Austria. "It is just too American for me," she said.

Austria snubs upstart
More on the revolt against American "culture"?

Starbucks finds little favor in nation that loves tradition
By SONYA YEE
Los Angeles Times

VIENNA, AUSTRIA - It seemed so brash and, to many Viennese, so
American when Starbucks arrived three years ago bearing Frappuccinos
and caramel macchiatos into this proud capital of coffeehouse culture.

The coffee chain established its beachhead on prime real estate across
from the famed Hotel Sacher and the Vienna State Opera. And this, said
the management, was only the beginning. Starbucks would open a new
store at least every month. By 2005, there would be 60 locations
across the country.

But with 2005 only days away, Starbucks' Austrian empire stands at
just eight stores in and around Vienna. That's down from 10; two
didn't make it, including one at a high-profile spot by the
Naschmarkt, Vienna's beloved central outdoor market.

The perceived travails of what one newspaper called the "U.S.
paper-cup store" have inspired no small amount of satisfaction at the
misfortune of the American firm.

"We don't want to burst out in unrestrained coffeehouse chauvinism
here," said a recent commentary in the daily Die Presse. "But a little
satisfaction that not every standardized global chain can just take
over the Naschmarkt is allowed."

Starbucks arguably has done little to inspire such gloating. It hasn't
driven local coffeehouses out of business. It doesn't advertise and,
aside from the hype of its grand opening, has turned out to be
relatively unobtrusive.

Nevertheless, for some Vienna cafe partisans, the American chain
symbolizes the insidious creep of globalization. The traditional
coffeehouse, in this view, stands as a noble bulwark against the
uniformity brought on by mass culture.

"Individuality is the core argument for the coffeehouse," said Tobias
Leibetseder, a patron at Cafe Jelinek in Vienna's residential 6th
District. Table mate Angelika Karner said she had never been to
Starbucks and wasn't planning to do so.

"It is just too American for me," she said.

The Viennese coffeehouse, almost by definition, offers free newspapers
and an oxygen supply severely compromised by cigarette smoke. The
coffee is brought to the table — ideally, by a surly, tuxedo-clad
waiter — on a small silver tray, accompanied by a glass of water with
the coffee spoon balanced on top.

Cafe Jelinek is one of thousands of coffeehouses playing a cherished
role in the life of the city. For decades, it was run by the Knapps.
Guenther took care of the kitchen and made the coffee, but Maria's
benevolent dictatorship set the tone.

Children, dogs and cell phones were forbidden to disturb the shabby
cafe's hushed ambience. A sign posted on the wall above the
wood-burning stove informed customers that "whoever is in a hurry will
not be served," a decree Frau Knapp had no qualms about enforcing.

Beset with hip problems and migraines, Maria Knapp wanted to retire,
threatening to consign Jelinek to history. But the Haases and
Schiffners, two couples who ran a traditional Austrian restaurant
across the street, persuaded her to let them take over.

"We always liked the place, and we always wanted to have it," Manfred
Haas said. "We also didn't want anyone to destroy it."

Old January 4th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Calif Bill

Hell, A lot of us American's dislike the chain coffeehouse mentality. Why
should I pay $2.50+ for a cup of coffee at Starbucks when a local place is a
$1 or $0.89 in my own travel mug?
Bill

Old January 4th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Mxsmanic

Calif Bill writes:

Hell, A lot of us American's dislike the chain coffeehouse mentality. Why
should I pay $2.50+ for a cup of coffee at Starbucks when a local place is a
$1 or $0.89 in my own travel mug?

Why should anyone drink coffee at all? It tastes really bad no matter
how it's prepared, since it always has coffee in it.

Old January 4th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Calif Bill

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Calif Bill writes:

Hell, A lot of us American's dislike the chain coffeehouse mentality.

Why
should I pay $2.50+ for a cup of coffee at Starbucks when a local place

is a
$1 or $0.89 in my own travel mug?

Why should anyone drink coffee at all? It tastes really bad no matter
how it's prepared, since it always has coffee in it.

As Crocodile Dundee said, "Tastes like ****, but you can live on it". Why
would anyone eat liver? The sewage plant of the body. Different tastes for
different folks.

Old January 4th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Jester

Great article. Who would want Starbucks when anywhere else in Vienna is
so much better anyways?

Glad to see declining infiltration of a US corp's influence into a
major part of Vienna's culture.

--
Jester
Jester's Profile: http://www.bigtravelforum.com/member.php?userid=1

Old January 4th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 04:42:44 -0600, Jester wrote:

Great article. Who would want Starbucks when anywhere else in Vienna is
so much better anyways?

Glad to see declining infiltration of a US corp's influence into a
major part of Vienna's culture.

....because you can go in and get a quick cup of "coffee" and leave if
you#re in a hurry. In a Viennese coffee house you need at least 1/2 hour.
Order, get served and drink is quick enough, but trying to pay afterwards
can be an ordeal.
--
Tim C.
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:20:19 +0100, nitram wrote:

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:13:27 +0100, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 04:42:44 -0600, Jester wrote:

Great article. Who would want Starbucks when anywhere else in Vienna is
so much better anyways?

Glad to see declining infiltration of a US corp's influence into a
major part of Vienna's culture.

...because you can go in and get a quick cup of "coffee" and leave if
you#re in a hurry. In a Viennese coffee house you need at least 1/2 hour.
Order, get served and drink is quick enough, but trying to pay afterwards
can be an ordeal.

It's the same in NL, when we were in a hurry we try to pay when the
waiter brings the coffee.

In the good old days when Schiphol was on the east side of the
airfield, I several times ordered a lunch, it never arrived before the
last call for the flight.

There's always going to be a market for fast food and drink in places where
there are a lot of busy people. Hence the success of the Viennese Starbucks
only at such places - eg. the centre of town and major shopping malls.

--
Tim C.